1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VIP722k features/Slingbox-enabled receiver

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by PTS, Dec 13, 2008.

1. PTS

PTS Cool Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Two quick questions:

What features will the 722k have that the current version doesn't? Outside of the ability to record two OTA channels at once, I haven't seen anything else of note.

Is there any timetable for the Slingbox-enabled receiver?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A 722 K is a 722 with a hole where the OTA tuner used to be. The OTA tuner is now a separate, optional, module that you have to buy if you want it. The only difference is that this separate module is a dual-OTA tuner module.

The only other difference is that it comes with a new, LEARNING remote, so you can "teach" it codes that aren't already in the remote.

3. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    If I remember the tech chat.. The remote also can save the receiver settings and then write them to another receiver. I read this as being a useful way of transferring you configuration if you should have a box failure.

4. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    A feature that's only 12-1/2 years overdue*. ;)

The Sling-enabled receiver will be the ViP922.

* by necessity, not that it was ever promised

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would reserve my opinion before I'll open a hood of the box, plus Dish spooling totally different SW for 722k - doesn't look like it is 722 as you presenting here.

6. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Totally agree Bobabird. Given the boxes will fail, it is nice to see that there will be a method to make this swap as painless as possible. Sure wish they would also implement this through the Net and add the feature to the 722/622 boxes.

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are traces of it on the 622/722 software so it may be there already ...

Hit MENU-MENU then the NEXT button on screen for TV1 and TV2 Remote Download menus.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    The feature is not exclusive for 622 [722] SW, I wouldn't be surprise to see it works for ALL ViP models, include 411 sibling.

9. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    True.. I thought about that as I typed. Not sure if it is just a mistake.. Some code that has leaked into the build of if it truly is planned for the 722 and all that is needed is the remote. That would be cool, but I still would like to see a Net version of it supported. Sort of like how Harmony uses the net to store configurations.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's not a leakage ( per se ) but all ViP models will support save/restore customer's settings thru new remote.

11. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Cool Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I have a VIP722 and one of the new remotes. I followed the instructions above (menu, menu, next) and it took me to the download screen. I then initiated the download to my remote and it flashed all of my mode lights and then the reciever rebooted...just dont know if it actually saved (downloaded) the info.

When I went back to the screen, it still said no intial remote download has been completed...so I assume that means it didnt...although I thought it did cause of the lights flashing and the reboot....

12. kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    My 722 did the exact same thing, so I just gave up on it.

I think the 722 just can't handle a download from one of the new remotes but that "shared" software is being used/developed between the 722 and 722K.

At least that's my theory…