1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista SP2 Yellow Triangles

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by slotype, Jul 8, 2010.

1. slotype

slotype New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    I have 3 hr24's networked with windows 7 (works flawlessly) and vista sp2 box. The vista box uses wmp11 and sees all my shared folders but will not play either photo or music files, the photo files instead show a grid of yellow icons. I have tried many,many different methods with no success...a strange (and revealing) sidenote is that the windows preloaded vista "sample pictures" and "sample music" files all work great, but not my self created picture or music files. Both the music and picture folders are share enabled. The windows 7 box displays all of the same (copied from the vista box) personally created files flawlessly. Why does the "sample folders" and their files work but not my own self created and shared files? Would the "take ownership" approach work? One thing I've noticed is that the "sample folders" have administrator permission. Is vista sp2 wmp11 and mediashare fixable?

2. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    When you copied over to the Win7 box are you sure you really copied and did not "move" and make available offline?

3. slotype

slotype New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Copied. All files are stored on NAS, networked boxes are xp home, vista home, win 7 and OSX snow leopard. All are shared and flow seemlessly throughout entire network. This is only a problem on the vista box and DIRECTV mediashare. Keep in mind all files are shared and all flow flawlessly, except vista connected to any of my 3 hr24's. Lastly, (and key question) why are the "sample" folders working and flawless, but not others I created?

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    What type are the files you created?

5. slotype

slotype New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Typical, generic music and photos, nothing special.

6. -Draino-

-Draino- Godfather

May 18, 2008
    New Hampshire
    When you say yellow triangle, you mean there is a yellow triangle on the files when viewed through media share on the HR box?

If thats the case then try saving a new picture to the pics folder on the Vista box and see what happens.

I would also try turning off any anti-virus software just to rule that out. If you are using Norton or McAffee then I would do a complete uninstall of those products and try a different anti-virus solution.

7. Harley3971

Harley3971 Cool Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I had the exact same problem, then I downloaded TVersity. Everything works great now. You may want to try that.

8. slotype

slotype New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Thanks for the tip, I will download Tversity and try it...however, I am still perplexed by the vista box only difficulty, yet be able to see "sample folders" is odd, I think it has got to be in the permissions (security overload) inherent with vista. I do not run out of box anti virus programs, just router, windows security essentials and the in house vista firewall, basic stuff...(my brain is my best defense). There has got to be some work around or tweek pertaining to the "sample folders" opposed to the other files and folders.

9. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009