1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vitrodka server ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by finaldiet, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    Both receivers had message about a server on screen. Had to click OK to get rid of it. I know I didn't spell name right, but was wondering what it was all about. Thought I might have missed something as I havn't been on forum for a few days.

2. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Couple of things could be happening. Do you have a wireless connection hooked up to the HR2x? If so, then someone is coming in on your network then logging off or stopping the media server software on thier system or you have a media server software running on one of the PC's plugged into the network.

3. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    I have a wired connection to one and the other is not connected, but got same message on it. I saw where others have had same problem now that I had it. I guess its an on-going thing, but was strange that non-connected receiver had it. Forgot, no media server.

4. dsm

dsm Godfather

Jul 11, 2004
    Not to offend you, but it seems impossible to me that the box not connected to the network would give a "server disconnected" message. The box could have a bug I haven't seen reported where it would put out a spurious indication, but there is no way it could put up the right server name without a connection. Are you sure it wasn't a different message?

-steve

5. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Perhaps someone else may have an answer/suggestion then. If one of your HR2x machines got this message and is not hooked up to the network, then it is beyond what I know.

Anyone?

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I did a google search on Vitrodka and found nothing. Curious. You can usually do a google search on any meaningless string of letters and find something.

7. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    It came up on both receivers. The name started with a V. I should have wrote it down. It looked like someones name: V.../dave or david. It had to be DTV because a window popped up with an "OK" to click in order to clear screen. This happened first on wifes receiver, which is not connected to internet. It would not clear until I clicked OK. Being curious, I checked my receiver and it showed same pop-up window. Mine is internet connected. Sure wish I would have written it down. I know it sounds weird.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Make a picture next time.

9. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    My guess is it's possible to send a message from DirecTV to a specific receiver or account over the sat. Someone there may have made a mistake and it got sent out to your boxes.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I think it was first attempt in a history of DirecTV hack thru satellite ! :D

11. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    Beyond weird on the disconnected box - have you considered poltergeist activity ?? :lol:

For real now: How do showcases,etc. (basically any pushed content) get delivered - are they on a server ? And if that server became unavailable during the download - what would one see on a receiver ?

12. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    That would be a SAT download so it should NOT put any network information on the screen, but stranger things have happened.

finaldiet,
    What is the name of the computer(s) that are on the network at your house? Right click on my computer => properties => Computer Name Tab

13. ColdShot

ColdShot Cool Member

Nov 30, 2007
    What kind of vodka??

14. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    The name is NANCY, which is wifes name. I will take a picture if it ever happens again. I know my wife didn't like what happen on screen as she thought I was fooling around with her receiver. She doesn't like anything messing up what shes watching.

15. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    It happened again tonight. This is what screen showed, "The server, Vithokd:David has logged off". Ther was a yellow box in lower right corner that had "OK' in it.tried to get picture, but wife dropped camera and it didn't record on receiver. Any ideas?

16. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    I wonder if someone in your neighborhood is running a wireless network that happens to be on the same frequency as your receivers RF.

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Is your network shared with anyone? If not, you may want to run a check on all of your computers for bots, trojans, etc.

18. Spanky_Partain

Dec 7, 2006
    Why not put the name of the server? Whats with the big grin face?

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think the smilie was unintentional and I edited the post to remove it.

My biggest suspicion is that your HR20 is able to access someone else's network in some way. I am at a loss to explain how if you say the network is not connected.

I'm nowhere near the expert that Spanky is, but I do know that if you don't have a proper router and firewall setup on a DSL or cable modem line, it can be possible to see other users with the same service if they similarly do not have a proper router and firewall setup.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    All this doesn't look right, especially if the camera dropped.
    I see it as a joke from OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.