1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vizio 37" LCD

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by drm2869, Jan 15, 2007.

1. drm2869

drm2869 Cool Member

Nov 14, 2006
    A friend of mine told me that Dish was having compatibility issues with some Vizio TV's and the 622. I am thinking of getting HD and I would like to know before. I currently have 721 and love it.
    Thanks for your help.

2. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Vizio was a TV the 622 had HDMI handshake issues with in the past but I never heard any specific model numbers. However, that was many months (and a software update or two ago) so I would expect it to work now. You might try calling Dish advanced tech support and see what answer you get.

3. humara

humara Cool Member

Jan 11, 2007
    fwiw, costco has a great return policy if it doesn't work out.
    and i think they carry a good selection of vizio models.
    obviously that would be huge pain to deal with if it doesn't.

4. Tom-Tx

Tom-Tx Legend

May 23, 2005
    I have a Vizio 37" and connected my 942 to it via HDMI with no problems. This combination is just great! The 622 went in the den where it is connected to a 62" Mits DLP via component. I tried the HDMI but the picture just looked washed out and decided not to drive myself nuts trying to fine tune it.

Note that there are maybe 3 Vizio models. The first generation did not have a QAM tuner, the second did, and the newest has 2 HDMI inputs plus the QAM. I have the second model.

PS
    I would buy this TV again in a heart beat. Unbelievable PQ and features for the money.

5. rprew

rprew New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I have a Vizio VX37L - 37” LCD HDTV connected to a 622 via HDMI and it has worked fine without any issues. The TV was manufactured in November 2006.

6. Apr 1, 2007 #6 of 28
    chewey

chewey Legend

Jul 28, 2004
    Just got a display model Vizio 37L at Sams for $600. I spent all night doing a manual search for a 622 remote code that allow for more just volume and mute. I just to be able to switch from Component to HDMI on the fly w/o getting the Vizio remote. ANybody find a good code number?

7. Apr 1, 2007 #7 of 28
    Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    I doubt if it is a different code than the other Vizio. On Vizio's web site they have a listing of two codes to try, one of them "works". But the TV/Video input button doesn't work, so the HDMI switcheroo doesn't work (for me ... but there are many different remotes available for the 622).

8. Apr 2, 2007 #8 of 28
    bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006

That great return policy is now a thing of the past. They revised it about a month or so ago and are much stricter on most returns, especially electronics.

9. OconRecon

OconRecon AllStar

Sep 19, 2006
    Good news - talked my local Walmart into selling the oldest 37" Vizio to me for $500

Bad news - my new HD D* receiver doesn't even list Vizio when programming the remote control. There is V Inc., but the one code given doesn't work

So, I did a Code Search by pressing the Channel Up button repeatedly as directed by the on screen directions

THE TRICK - I had to ignore the first time the TV responded (TV turned off) and keep pressing Channel Up until the Vizio responded a second time (TV turned back on). Then, pressed Select and presto! It seems to be working. The TV input doesn't work, but the power/volume/channel does - so I'm content. The volume is a little sluggish if you immediately reverse directions, but waiting just a few seconds and repressing the volume button again does the trick.

Hope this helps others as it took me a while to figure this one out.

(P.S. - Come on D*, get the Vizio brand on the list. It's been out long enough now.;) )

10. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    I would've told you to try the Sony codes. Those have been reported to work for many Westinghouses (and some Vizio's).

11. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Sad to say the Sony code do work on the Westinghouse I have.

Unfortunately that means that volume up or down to the Sony audio system changes the TV. The power on or off for the SOny audio or the Sont DVD changer both turn on or off the TV. So when I want to turn on the changer and audio toggles the TV on/off too. Pain in the Neck. If I'd only known ahead of time. Strangely enough the TV remote does not control the Son'y nor do they interfere with each other. Only the TV. To me this says better quality on the Sony equipment and wide tolerances on the Westinhouse.

12. OconRecon

OconRecon AllStar

Sep 19, 2006

I tried all of the Westy and Sony codes, but no luck. I have the old Vizio 37 incher (L37 HDTV) and there are now two newer models ( VW37L HDTV and VX37L HDTV) and perhaps the Westy and Sony codes would work for them.

Thanks though.

13. Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt Legend

Dec 11, 2004
    I have a Vizio 32" and the remote code for Dish remotes was printed right on the quick setup guide. I used 627 and it worked perfectly with both my 508 and 622 remotes. You might give that one a try.

14. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    And some people compained about Costco changing their free TV upgrade policy :bonk1: Some people will take advantage of anything. I remember buying a little portable TV at RS one year. The saleman said it was not returnable after superbowl. They'd had to many people buying big screens and portables right before Superbowl and then returning them. Amazing

15. waddo

waddo Cool Member

Jul 11, 2006
    I had two Vizios and the LG codes worked for both on my universal remote. I have not tried that on the VIP 622 remote. Give that a try and let us know if it works...

16. Rick_R

Rick_R Legend

Sep 1, 2004
    Simi Valley, CA
    I use the Vizio 37" (VX37L) with my 211 and I use the HDMI cable. It worked first time I hooked it up with no issues. The 211 came supplied with a HDMI cable or I maybe wouldn't have tried it. My 65" Toshiba is connected to my 622 with component cables.

By the way the Wal Mart 37" Vizio is not the same model. The Wal Mart model is VW37L. It lacks several features that the Costco model has. The missing features include Zoom mode, PIP, a second set of AV inputs, and an optical output.

I bought the Wal Mart version for my Mom by mistake. However for what she uses it for it probably doesn't make any difference to her.

Rick R

17. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    It is quite possible that they have the same electronics and just different firmware. It could end up cheaper to just edit the firmware compared to designing the mainboard for two different models. Sears used to do that. They had a Portable B&W TV and a larger screen tabletop. Same Curcuit board just different Picture tube and cabinet and a few longer wires to the controls in the fron, an extension on the tuner shaft. Cheaper than having many motherboards and simplifys service parts inverntory too.

Yeah, that sounds like the Walmart pricing model. Make it cheap not good. Take out features and drop the price they pay the maker. :soapbox:

Same problem with power tools at chains like Home Depot. Does anybody really think the lower cost rechargable drill is the same quality as the one they would buy from a hardware store or manufacturers outlet? BTW it isn't, it is made cheaper to meet the chains price point.

Or You see an advert where the electronics chain claims to beat any advertised price? If you go to Costco, CC or BB as examples you may see the exact same product and they will all be different model numbers. That allows them to advertise that way and still not have to worry about actually doing it.

Car dealers advert we'll beat any advertised price. Very unlikely you could find the exact same make, model, and options. If you did and it was cheaper than their cost they reserve the right to buy the advertised car and resell it to you. That eliminates collusion between the buyer and a a friendly dealer.

Or the Advertisement I used to hear. If we can't beat their price we'll give you the car free. Ha! If it was being sold below their cost they'd just go buy it and sell it to you a dollar lower. They would never give away a car for free.

Apply logic to advertisments and suddenly they aren't so attractive are they.

OOps, time to get off of the soap box. :backtotop

Bottom line always check all the features do not just assume it is the same. :)

18. NetworkTV

NetworkTV New Member

Jan 10, 2008
    I should probably note that the VW37L does now have an optical output. It supports PCM or DD 5.1 audio. I almost didn't buy that model based on the demo model not having it. However, on closer inspection, I found the units in boxes did have the output. Just be careful you get the newer model.

The manual also lists the availability of a zoom mode, but none of the menus seem to offer that function. There is still no PIP and only one set of AV inputs. Neither of the last two are a problem for me, though.

19. Mr.72

Mr.72 Icon

Feb 2, 2007
    FWIW, I have a VX37L and can't find any code that will make the input selector work on the dish remote. PITA really. That's the only reason I have to keep the Vizio remote out.

The Vizio worked perfectly since day #1 with my 622 on HDMI. Also works great with my other HDMI device (Oppo DVD). It's a great setup.

20. rbaron

rbaron Mentor

Jan 3, 2008
    When you guy's talk about the 622 and 934 what are you guy's talking about? Is it the model of the DVR's remote control?

If so, I have model RC64R and a Vizio 32" TV and can't get the remote programed using the codes for Vizio.

Any help????