1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

VOD file sizes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bswb, Apr 4, 2009.

1. bswb

bswb New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a general estimate for DirecTV's VOD file sizes? I'm going to be upgrading soon and wanted to see what sort of buffer times we'd need for VOD.

I guess it'd break down into the following categories:

SD show (30 minutes)
    SD show (60 minutes)
    SD movie (2 hours)
    HD show (30 minutes)
    HD show (60 minutes)
    HD movie (2 hours)

Of course, I guess I could just get the 30 minute shows and do the math. :lol:

We are looking at the different download methods for DTV VOD. For convenience sake, I'd like to use our wireless (2.5 MBPS) rather than running an ethernet all the way across the house.

Thanks for your help!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I recall many threads about HDD vs time vs compression numbers. Usually you can find the info there.

3. krock918316

krock918316 Hall Of Fame

Mar 5, 2007
    I don't know about the file sizes, but I have 3 meg cable internet, and I can select a SD show, and begin watching it immediately.

I am also connected through wireless to the cable modem. I also have another HR2x in the bedroom, that is connected via powerline, and it is the same way.