1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOD in the Country

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sswheeler, Oct 14, 2008.

1. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    Do any of the D* insiders know if there are plans to help the people in the country to be able to do VOD? The only way I can do high speed is through sat internet. And you really can't call that high speed. I would like to use it, but living where I do, just can't happen. Any info will be great. Thanks

2. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I think their answer to that is by pushing movies to the the Showcases/Movies Now tab in your list (if you have a DVR). It's bordering on impossible for DirecTV to do a true on demand like cable does, especially for users without an internet connection.

3. Steve615

Steve615 Hall Of Fame

Feb 5, 2006
    Middle TN area
    Here is a link to a page on DirecTV's site,containing several FAQ's in regards to the service.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/faqPage.jsp?assetId=P4660002&Id=1920049342#category3

Once that page opens,click on the drop down box beside "Services category" and select "DirecTV On Demand".The next page that opens will contain alot of questions and answers in regards to the On Demand service.Scroll down that page until you see "How fast should my Internet connection be?".Click on that link and it will show what kind of connection DirecTV recommends for the service.
    Hope the info helps. :)

EDIT : By the way,welcome to the forums. :)

4. bookwalk

bookwalk AllStar

May 10, 2005
    Is that available now? i.e. Can I choose to have the download go via Direct's regular satellite download rather than via my internet provider?

I also have rural satellite internet--not just the slower download speed but the cap of 7.5 gb per month total downloads--which doesn't allow but maybe 1 HD movie, if that!

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The Movies Now is active right now, the receiver will automatically download a few movies every now and then and they will randomly show up in the Showcases/Movies Now tab on the playlist screen (where your recordings are). You cannot control which are downloaded though, and before anyone asks, they do not take up your recording space, they use the Directv reserved space.

Between movies now and PPV you should have almost the same as VOD. PPVs are so widespread these days that you can find one starting almost whenever you like. I know there is more content on VOD, but for those that it is not an option, at least there is a lot of PPV.

I am in sorta the same case as I have slow (512k) DSL so it takes forever for me to download VOD content.

6. sswheeler

sswheeler Legend

Aug 27, 2008
    Thanks for the info. Thank you for the welcome.