1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

VOD load on internet connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by p4594spa, Jul 9, 2014.

1. p4594spa

p4594spa Mentor

Jul 20, 2006
    Maybe it is my imagination, but it appears that when I have a movie being downloaded to my DVR, my internet access times go to hell. Does the DVR pump requests for the video as fast as possible, or does it meter it so that it doesn't shut other access down. I am a 18Mbit connection

2. pappasbike

pappasbike Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    I think this always depends on the server being accessed and/or the isp. Have you been following the little war going on between Verizon and Netflix each blaming the other for slow downloads?

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There's another thread somewhere where downloading a movie was chewing up 160GB/day of data usage. These are the first such reports I've seen.

4. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    D* will send it to you as fast as (your connection and) it's servers allow, which I think was somewhere around 10 to 12 Mbps on their end. Last I heard, no matter how fat your end is they won't exceed 12 Mbps on their end, so you should have 6 Mbps left over in your pipe. You also may have something set in your router which gives D* priority (or any streaming content). Try turning QoS OFF in your router settings. I had to do this for one router I owned.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It does hog my bandwidth, but I have a poopy Verizon DSL service.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It will use some portion, but no where near 18MB. I do most of my downloading while I am asleep. You have something else going on.