1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume on auto-recorded movies

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by FlyingmWY, Jul 16, 2009.

1. FlyingmWY

FlyingmWY AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    I have an R15-500 running current software. Recently, because its handy, we have started to watch the "top movies" that are auto-recorded to the DVR by directv. I am having a terrible time getting the volume high enough to even hear the dialouge.

I am connected to a sony all in 1 system via optical audio. I even went directly to my tv and get the same result. I have to crank speakers on both to max to hear the audio. All other audio works fine. I notice these movies have the dolby icon with all of them. Other channels are not an issue.

Anyone else having this? Is it my set up? Going direct from the receiver to the tv did not help, I had to crank the speakers on the tv as well.

Thanks in advance!

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I occasionally watch the first 5 minutes (for free) of these "Top Movies" and also noticed that the sound is basically inaudible. Maybe they are designed for hearing-impaired viewers who use closed captioning?

Is the sound as low on the actual live PPV channels? (I wouldn't pay $4.99 for a movie either way but I'm curious)

3. FlyingmWY

FlyingmWY AllStar

Jul 12, 2006
    No. Regular PPV is o.k. However I have noticed that any program that is dolby digital is somewhat lower volume than those that are not, yet not to the extreme as the "top movies". Of which all of them have the dolby icon, which many other ppv movies do not.