1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voom Channels???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jpinks, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 9, 2005 #1 of 18
    jpinks

jpinks Cool Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Has anyone heard anything new regarding them?? I cant have 2 Sat dishes because of local home owners group, and was just wondering if they will be mirroring them to another sat?? :confused:

2. Jun 9, 2005 #2 of 18
    BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    No

3. Jun 9, 2005 #3 of 18
    larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    YES, you can. Your HMA CANNOT restrict your having a second dish. Check out the regulations on OTARD by doing some searches.

4. Jun 9, 2005 #4 of 18
    jpinks

jpinks Cool Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I will look for that as its spelled out about Antennas and Dishes in HMA rules. Just curious what is OTARD?

5. Jun 9, 2005 #5 of 18
    GFloyd

GFloyd Legend

Jun 3, 2003
    OTARD is the FCC's statement on Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rules. Read up and inform your HOA that they have no say in the matter as long as you meet the conditions that are cleary spelled out in the OTARD. By the way, I'm the VP of my HOA ... :D

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

6. Jun 9, 2005 #6 of 18
    lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    Yesterday at a trade meeting, we had a regional sales rep from DISH present and I asked that same question about whether they would move off of 148 soon... the answer was no. However, the ultimate plan is that when the NEW 3-dish solution launches, Voom will be included on one of the sats from that lineup. He stated that the reason they are not being mirrored currently is that Voom is very low priority at DISH. According to him, the only reason Voom channels were picked up was to bolster HD programming and add some Voom subscribers to their base. I also learned that the install fee for Voom is now $199 in Superdish markets and $99 in DISH 500 markets.... glad I don't sell DISH. LOL

7. Jun 9, 2005 #7 of 18
    KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    As stated previously, FCC says if it is your property, you can put any antenna on it you want as long as it is 30" or less in diameter.

It's not hard... fortunately all of our Detroit DMA customers are eligible for a free 61.5 wing. As far as our Super Dish customers are concerned...

#1 a DP34 in included in all 121 (or 148 and 105) Super Dish local market DHA installs.

#2 If a customer wants HD Locals they need to pick those up OTA.

#3 Reflect on #2, who wants SD locals for an HD TV?

To sum it up, even in a Super Dish DMA get a Dish 500, a free DP34, (or a Dish Pro Plus Twin which has a wing switch built in) spring $35 for the 61.5 wing and you got all of your Voom channels. No need for a DP44 cause who cares about SD locals if you can pick up HD OTA?

8. Jun 9, 2005 #8 of 18
    larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Oh boy, now we are gonna have more comments about National HD being put on the 129 WHICH IS NOT GONNA HAPPEN unless it's for Digital/HD LiL. However, they could do some damage on the west coast with the 129 for Digital/HD LiL and have space for the V* channels on the 110 once E-10 is launched(which is what he MAY have been refering to).

And what do these guys do for SD LiL? Most subs have 2-4 receivers/tuners and only 1 HD set.

9. Jun 9, 2005 #9 of 18
    erh1117

erh1117 Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2005
    Per response by phone to my e-mail to ceo@echostar, they plan to mirror or move VOOM from 61.5 in the "long-term." The CSR who called me said that she queried them on what that meant and they would not be pinned down.

10. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually the rule says 1 meter which translates to 39.36 inches. :) There is no limit in Alaska.

See ya
    Tony

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    BTW: It isn't as easy as waiving a bit of paper in your HOA's face and saying "so there". The FCC is a long way away from most HOAs, and the rules are not super clear to all.

And even with a 'kind' reading of the FCC rules (being most permissive) there are a lot of restrictions possible on dish installations.

But back to topic ... Don't expect Voom on 148. E* is busy doing other things and now we are approaching mid-year it gives E* less of a reason to spend money installing dishes and selling receivers that are already obsolete.

JL

12. KingLoop

Mar 3, 2005
    That is definately a challenge sometimes truth be told. But a really good solution for someone with lets say 2 TVs is to get (2) 811s rather than an 811 and a 311. The price is the same for either configuration. Lets say a customer has 3 TVs... HD Locals are always desirable and warrent the investment in a good OTA antenna. A customer could spend an additional $200 on a DP+44 and get one free 811 for their HD set and some SD IRDs for the rest of their TVs... OR the customer could lease upgrade to a 942 for only $50 more dollars and $35 for the wing and get an 811 for the 3rd TV. The programming is relatively close in price.(with the exception of the DVR fee.) The EQ configuration is alot better less than $100 more.
    Additionally, the customer with a 4th TV (for which they want independant programming) they could get a second 811.

Of course this is all contingent on the customer receiving a quality HD OTA signal.

(2) 811s or 811 + 311 = same programming price
    (1) 942 and an 811 or 811 and 625 = same programming price
    (1) 942 and (2) 811s or 811 and 625 and 311 = same programming price

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I think that the 61.5 is also the distribution point for the Voom channels. So if Voom cut a deal with DirectTV, Phone, or a Cable company, then they too would get the channels from Dish's 61.5 location. So I expect that those channels will remain there for a long time. They also are not likely to get "down rezzed" or compressed since they are feed channels.

But if they get mirrored over to 129 for the Dish1000, then those channels would be subject to alteration.

14. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Hey, where can I get that 942 upgrade for ONLY $50 more???? :D

15. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    Uh, last I checked, they were using V*'s R-1 for the V* channels, which they do not actually own yet. Therefore, it is doubtful that D* could get these channels on the 61.5, since they legally cannot receiver from that location. D* would have to uplink the V* channels on their own sats and dishes to carry them.

Doubtful. More than likely, they will move the V* channels to the 110 once E-10 is live and MPEG4 is starting. 129 is a bad angle for the east coast, so don't expect much more than Digital/HD LiLs from it.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    RainbowDBS still owns the satellite and licenses and can uplink anything they want to sell. Right now they are uplinking Voom channels in E*'s prefered 8PSK MPEG2 format. E* is selling access to those channels. Probably somewhere in the background E* is paying bulk prices for the channels.

RainbowDBS could uplink the signals in a D* friendly format to their transponders as well and have D* customers point directly at 61.5 to get the signal. D* receive dishes can be pointed at 61.5 without breaking any US laws. The big issues are 1) E* and D* currently use different channel systems and 2) E* is buying the satellite and licenses and when THEY own the transponders they probably won't want a feed to D* customers there.

E* will put the Voom channels on 110 or another central satellite when they move to MPEG4. Voom will leave the wing. Unless something REALLY ODD happens and the MPEG4 becomes cross compatable between E* and D* there is simply no way that the same feed will reach both type of boxes. Not because of legal issues but due to technical issues and the competitive desires of E*.

JL

17. KingLoop

Mar 3, 2005
    You can pay a $200 upgrade for a DP+44 switch and wing or $250 for a 942 and say to hell with a superdish. My previous post is a very good alternative to a superdish.

18. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I was thinking more that DirectTV would receive the Voom channels from 61.5 and not the D* customers themselves. D* could then uplink the channels to a D* satellite for service to their customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.