1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voom Set to Expand Capacity To More Than 355 Channels

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by Chris Blount, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1 of 31
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    VOOM Delivers High-Definition Advantage With Nearly 40 HD Channels
    Backed by Full Array of Popular Standard-Definition Cable Networks

Set to Expand Capacity Enabling VOOM to Offer More Than 355 Channels

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- CES Booth #26103 -- VOOM, the first
    comprehensive high-definition (HD) satellite television service, extends its
    leadership in HD programming by delivering a more robust HD lineup backed by a
    full array of popular cable networks in standard-definition (SD). In
    addition, VOOM recently announced that in March of this year its capacity will
    expand significantly, enabling it to increase from its current total of 130
    channels to 355 HD and SD channels.
    "Over the past year, we have focused on strengthening our HD leadership,
    increasing our SD offerings considerably and enhancing our VOOM HD Originals
    programming," said Tom Dolan, CEO of Rainbow Media Enterprises. "Continuing
    to expand our channel capacity this year will enable us to remain the leading
    provider of HD content with an attractive collection of cable favorites and
    premium services in SD."

More

2. Jan 6, 2005 #2 of 31
    musicmaker2020

musicmaker2020 AllStar

Apr 19, 2004
    And if they are in the process of either being sold or spun off why do they even bother acting like they are going to stick around?

Guess they are hoping for whoever buy's them to keep the service exactly like it is.

3. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    i work for installs inc we do all the voom installs and they are not even close to being sold these are just rumers. voom has not undergone any more problems then directv and E* did when they started. dont worry voom is not going anywhere. we are allready making plans on how we are going to upgrade people to bigger dishes when they launch thier other satellite

4. sonicrob

sonicrob Cool Member

Nov 23, 2004
    That is good news that Voom will stick around i am a happy camper and will get Voom soon when they get there DVR i just need to finished paying off these Expensive Projector i bought.LOL :)

5. jeslevine

jeslevine AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 21, 2002
    I am a long time dish subscriber, and just signed up for VOOM. There free hardware and installation with great HD content was a deal I could not refuse

I am not giving up dish, at least for the time being, but I hope they bring more competition into the field

6. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    just hang in there i guarntee you that if voom is going to go under we will be the first to know as we have a conference call with them every tuesday. i will try to start posting any usefull info from the notes on here so you voomers and you people who hate voom can see that things are going good. yes they have problems and they are working on them. the newest software download is a great resolution to alot of problems caused by the older software. it fixes so many issues like freezing and audio/video out of sync and so on. As far as a dvr i use a stand alone Tivo and it works well i mean its not HD but hey it does the job that way i still get tivo but get voom too. we are always working with voom to tell them ways they can do things better and so forth to help customers and they are slowly getting better belive me i have seen a difference in night and day since there first start up a little over a year ago.

7. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes, they are. When DirecTv launched it was the fastest moving product in the history of the home electronics industry. VOOM is falling far short of even coming close to this kind of performance.
    I don't think anyone here hates VOOM, they just expect reality based information, not pie in the sky. I am seriously considering VOOM myself (once my hurricane damage is fixed).

8. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    yes i realize directv was a fast mover but it was something new something different everyone could now have something besides cable or a big dish or people who were unable to have a big dish could now get satellite. but they wernt without problems in software and hardware i know i was there. dish still has problems but they keep growing. voom has problems they have come along ways since the begning but thier biggest problem right now is they need more just SD channels something to comepte with directv and dish. I think in march things will go better the biggest complaint i hear is they dont have lifetime and they dont have mtv2 or vh1 classic. so we will see. and with the change of thier cinema hd 10 channels to something worth seeing that will help.

9. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I see this pronouncement as nothing other than marketing hype. I was with Voom for about 3 months and after that I had my fill. From the last I remember of their subscriber stats, I'm not alone when it comes to pulling the plug on these guys. With all of the $$ these guys are pouring down the rat hole it kind of makes you wonder where their Board of Directors is these days.

10. Nikos09

Nikos09 Cool Member

Oct 6, 2004

Actually, Voom's biggest problem is that they never had a really good business model entering the market. Offering just HD was never going to fly in an economy where competition is running both. There just wasn't enough HD to make the system worth the money. Now, with Voom bleeding more money and Cablevision finally pulling the constant infusion of cash, a sale is almost guaranteed. If not, you can count on the plug being pulled on the patient. Just look at XM and Sirius to see the importance of plenty of capital - never mind the fact that Voom was woefully behind on the amount of spectrum they had available to them.

Bottom line, never mind all the feel-good conversations from Voom, they will tell their dealers anything to hang on to what little value they have managed to carve out. Right now, Voom desperately need a sugar daddy...

11. jeslevine

Jul 21, 2002
    All that might be true, but the deal they are offering with free hardware and installation, I figure I have nothing to lose

I am not giving up dish

12. georgecostanza

georgecostanza Mentor

Jan 10, 2005
    IF YOU really talk to them, tell them to do whatever it takes to get Tivo since DTV is dumping them, they would be gauranteed all the defectors. I'de love to see voom succeed, let the price wars commence!!!!

13. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    They could become very competitive on their SD packages and make out on their HD packages (until Dish and Direct comes out with that many HD channels). Voom obviously isnt giving up with all the advertisement they are doing.

14. jeslevine

Jul 21, 2002
    Tomorrow VOOM installs. I am not getting rid of dish yet, maybe HD, depends how good VOOM really is, and their viability

15. Zookster

Zookster New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    I just got an HDTV and seriously debated switching to VOOM or staying with DISH. I find it interesting to see people in this thread who got VOOM but kept DISH. As a renter, I can only "sneak" one dish onto my roof, so after reading all the doom and gloom on VOOM in these threads, I upgraded to an 811 on a one-year lease agreement, figuring I'd give DISH a year to get their HD act together or see if VOOM will indeed survive and thrive as a company, and then switch. More than anything, though I most want to see lease-able HD DVRs offered by all Sat. companies like they are with cable. I just don't get what the problem is.

16. Blockhead

Blockhead AllStar

Jan 20, 2004
    Voom going to Echostar?
    UPDATE: Wall Street Journal is reporting that Cablevision is contemplating shutting down its Voom high-definition satellite service, and has shelved its plans to spin-off the division in a public offering. Voom, despite its tech-cred has been a bit of a money pit for Cablevision, and in third quarter alone the company lost $75 million and change. It has only 26,000 customers. WSJ says there is a good chance they might even sell it to someone like Echostar. Charlie Ergen, EchoStar’s chief executive, could be one of the likely buyers of Voom’s satellite, launched in 2003 and Thomas Eagan, an analyst with Oppenheimer & Co. told the Journal, that “Mr. Ergen might pay as little as $125 million, about half what it would cost to build and launch a new satellite.”

Sounds like more than just rumors to me

17. jeslevine

Jul 21, 2002
    I had my VOOM installed yesterday, free hardware and labor, and it is terrific

I still am keeping basic dish, but the 921 was made me quite upset with dish. It is now for sale on ebay

For three years I have been waiting for Charlie to do something about HD, and it never materialized.

I would NOT be unhappy if dish bought VOOM, and if VOOM doesn't make it, which I hope they do, at least I am watching great HD while it lasted, without paying for hardware or labor

18. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    25,000 subscribers and a loss of 75 million would equal out to an average of $3,000 per subcriber. OUCH! Thats just the loss in 3rd quarter and not counting the satellite launch? If it took 250 million to launch just one of the satellites that would be an average of another $10,000 per subscriber. BIG OUCH! Now we are up to $13,000 per sub average and this is not counting the other quarters including 4th quarter. This is not counting the next satellite launch and upgrades for the customers to go to the larger dish. Another HUGE loss for the company. Now if they can get up to at least half a million subs they can get the average cost per sub way down and take the momentum forward. The number of subs needs to increase a bit faster than what it has been.

A smart thing for Voom to do is to try to contact all of the Dish Network and DirecTv retailers to try to have them sell their product. Even if they only got 1 in 10 customers sold that would give them about half a million total customers per year for starting out.

Now you can see why they would want to sell out instead of sinking more and more money into an unprofitable risky business. They need to sell to SD only customers as well to gain more customers and come out with some really competitive packages against DirecTv and Dish Network. Many people tend to go with services that are familiar and have been around for a good while. This gives people more trust in going to those companies for service. Not having local channels must hurt them a bit. This is what is helping DirecTv and Dish Network grow a lot right now because they offer what cable offers. Once Direct and Dish start offering a lot of HD services I dont see how Voom can make it unless they offer some things that they dont such as cheap SD packages when combined with HD and cheap and have a cheap and/or lease offer on the HD DVR's.

19. jeslevine

Jul 21, 2002
    As for locals VOOM throws in a free to air antenna, and in my case I am able to pick up all of the locals including San Francisco. I am in San Jose

20. ypsiguy

ypsiguy Icon

Jan 28, 2004
    I can see Charlie buying VOOM. That would give him two satellites at 61.5 for extra HD and SD. I would bet VOOM'ers would get switched out to 811's if they decided to stay. Think I will have that free dish put in for 61.5 as it may come in use.