1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

VOOM sues Dish.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Curtis0620, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 27, 2008 #1 of 178
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    http://www.multichannel.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6535686

2. Feb 27, 2008 #2 of 178
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    If it weren't for Dish, just how many people would have Voom at all right now? This doesn't appear to be very well thought out on Voom's end.

3. Feb 27, 2008 #3 of 178
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Can't we all just get along?? :(

I wonder how long the current carriage contract runs - if I were Voom I'd be real concerned this action would result in E* dropping them entirely - or only agreeing to carry a few of their channels - after that contract ends. By then E* should have plenty of other HD channels up (assuming it doesn't end before December and E* actually gets the new birds in the air!) and wouldn't need Voom to keep their channel count high.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #4 of 178
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We practically need a subforum for DISH and the courts. Wow.

The "temporary restraining order" should mean that the Voom 15 will magically appear on the receivers of anyone subscribed to Essentials. I'll have to dig into the court documents to see what is actually ordered here.

5. Feb 27, 2008 #5 of 178
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Very odd... and for as much as I'm a supporter of Voom... it says something when you need to sue to keep your channels up. This kind of thing is a bad precedent, especially when you figure Voom is kind of being done a favor to some extent with Dish carrying them anyway since it appears DirecTV is fine not touching them at all.

6. Feb 27, 2008 #6 of 178
    LinkNuc

LinkNuc Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    VooM is not a big draw, i could live with out it. I'll have to read into the lawsuit...but all in all, it's going to be tough now having the ability to have HD-tiers with the available nationals now, Dish better tread lightly...more options more tiers and a-la-carte..MAYBE<--- don;t bash me.

7. Feb 27, 2008 #7 of 178
    rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    i don't understand. why hurt the hand that feeds you? if it wasn't for dish Voom would've been gone along time ago! i like some of the voom channels but after this stunt if i was Dish i'd dropped them!:kickbutt:

8. Feb 27, 2008 #8 of 178
    tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Dish Voom sued drop Voom and give us some real HD programs

9. Feb 27, 2008 #9 of 178
    jimborst

jimborst Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    Wild speculation here but with Voom's repeating schedule and now the lawsuit, has Voom run out of money? No budget for new shows and now this, is the folding far in the future?

10. Feb 27, 2008 #10 of 178
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    VOOM is acting back stabbers. As I said before in another thread as soon as Dish has room for all HBO, STARZ channels to be in HD VOOM is history. Too many repeats! Hopefully in late Spring when 1 bird is online.

11. Feb 27, 2008 #11 of 178
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    In the bigger picture...

We just saw COMCAST and the NFL nework, issue (similar thing), be sent back down to lower courts...

All of this is comming of the same issue/case, that DirecTV/HDNet did in December (That reached an out of court settlement).

Maybe... that settlement/battle on DirecTV/HDNet set a precedent... and these other combinations of companies are thinking they have a chance to change their fortunes.

12. Feb 27, 2008 #12 of 178
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    BTW: Voom has a minimum commitment to spend money on their programming. If they fail to spend enough, DISH can drop them without penalty. ($100k per year up to $500k total with a 15 year contract term.)

13. Feb 27, 2008 #13 of 178
    DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    I hope Dish drops all 15 of them altogether

14. Feb 27, 2008 #14 of 178
    rtd2

rtd2 Legend

Oct 2, 2006
    Even if dish dont drop them I just DID! Got the 10.00 HD package that goes woth AT 250 - Voom and saved 10.00 a month

15. Feb 27, 2008 #15 of 178
    Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    And that is precisely why Voom is suing Dish Network.

I'll assume Voom believes they are supposed to be in the minimum HD package, and that is how they are trying to get their contract interpreted. Dish Network is interpreting this differently, so they've placed the Voom channels on a different package.

16. Feb 27, 2008 #16 of 178
    LinkNuc

LinkNuc Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    Well now that we are in the rant mode, drop 'em all and make room for the nationals...Comcast is kicking A$$ this year, D* has made their statement by action, Dish needs to set it....and forget it!

17. Feb 27, 2008 #17 of 178
    Radio Enginerd

Radio Enginerd DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 5, 2006
    I was a long time Dish customer before switching sides.

Amazes me how much has changed in 12 months.

18. Feb 27, 2008 #18 of 178
    jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Does not seem to be a very smart move. Voom won't know what to do if they get dropped. Many are already dropping them.

19. Feb 27, 2008 #19 of 178
    lacruz

lacruz Legend

Feb 24, 2005
    I can't understand why people rip on Voom's programming but get all hyped up about Dish adding other HD Channels that are nothing more than simulcasts of their SD counterparts that we have seen for years? Nothing new here. Sure, the PQ is better, but how about some original, new channels with different programming? Voom offers programming you can't find on HBO or one of the "talky," commerical-ridden Discovery HD channels. If Dish dumps Voom, they won't be the "leader" in HD anymore and that's a debatable declaration now...

20. Feb 27, 2008 #20 of 178
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    FYI: I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but here is the exact text of what Cablevision says about the Voom HD deal with Echostar in their SEC filings:
    In April 2005, subsidiaries of the Company entered into agreements with EchoStar relating to the launch and operation of the business of Rainbow HD Holdings LLC, the Company’s VOOM HD Networks high definition television programming service, subject to the closing of the sale of our satellite (Rainbow 1) to EchoStar which occurred in November 2005. Under those arrangements, EchoStar initially distributed in 2005 a portion (10 of 21 channels) of the VOOM HD Networks programming service and, beginning in 2006, began carrying all 15 of the channels then included in the programming service. In connection with the arrangements, EchoStar was issued a 20% interest in Rainbow HD Holdings, the Company’s subsidiary owning the VOOM HD Networks, and that 20% interest will not be diluted until $500,000 in cash has been invested in Rainbow HD Holdings’ equity by the Company.

Under the terms of the affiliation arrangements with EchoStar covering the VOOM HD Networks for a 15 year term, if Rainbow HD Holdings fails to spend $100,000 per year (subject to reduction to reflect permanent reductions in the number of channels constituting the VOOM HD service), up to a maximum of $500,000 in the aggregate, on its service offerings, EchoStar may terminate the affiliation agreement. Echostar has exercised its audit rights under the affiliation agreement to determine whether Rainbow HD Holdings is in compliance with these requirements. The Company has the right to terminate the affiliation agreement if the VOOM HD Networks are discontinued in the future.

It looks like all Cablevision has to do is spend half a million dollars total on VOOM HD content to satisfy the contract, redeem the 20% ownership away from DISH, and lock DISH in to a carriage contract until 2020.

Unmentioned so far, one thing that is NOT in Cablevision's favor in the case is the fact that the initial Voom offering on DISH Network was a separate package of 10 channels for $5 that required purchase of the base "HD tier" for $9.99 . The parties know the contracts (specifically - whether or not "base tier" was guaranteed when DISH created the DishHD package in February of 2006) but allowing Voom to be an add-on initially can't help their argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.