1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voom

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by directvfreak, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    I was at my neighbors house just a few minutes ago and he has Dish network and has voom HD and he mentioned that DirecTV is picking up Voom later this year or in early 2008. Is this true?

2. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    D* has already said that they had zero interest in Voom.

3. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    I think someone is thinking that DirecTV's new satellite launch and the new HD channels DirecTV is adding because of the new satellite is being confused with Voom, which was purchased by EchoStar and is the majority of their HDTV Offering.

4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    E* purchased the Voom satellite (Rainbow 1) but has only a partial interest in the Voom programming service.

5. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    Ah, I didn't know that Voom did their own programming, I though they were just another DBS. But I could see how DirecTV's new HD offering could be thought of as a Voom HD Satellite buy out.

6. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    I have to say I agree. I don't want D* spending bandwidth on the Voom channels.

7. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I thought they made noises about possibly acquiring it outright.

8. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Believe me when I tell you that VOOM is not worth the fuss anymore. I have had it since they first added it on DISH and I watch maybe 2 channels out of the 15 they have: Monsters hd and RAVE. They have good concerts on RAVE and I have seen all the horror shows a 100 times over on Monsters hd. I think as more and more real hd channels that people watch are added to both services that VOOM will be irrelevant to most people. They are good when there were few channels in hd to watch and when they were in full resolution but now they are in hd lite and who cares about Spanish soccer or Canadian football on WORLD sports ? Besides the VOOM channels alone added $10.00 to my hd bill and you can't drop them.

9. uncrules

uncrules Godfather

Dec 20, 2005
    Voom's content may be good or bad (I don't know, I've never watched it) but I does give E* a marketing advantage. Voom gives E* a head start in the HD channel count and the average consumer isn't going to know if Voom is good or bad. All they will hear is that E* has a package of channels that D* doesn't.

10. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    When there are more HD choices, in just over a month, Voom will be irreverent as a marketing tool. By year's end, D* will have more HD choices than E*, even with Voom. People will pick based on the networks they know, versus some unknown network of programming.

11. cforrest

cforrest Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I agree, Cablevision added the VOOM channels finally. Not like they didn't own them, lol. It was for marketing purposes, b/c come September they are going to carry a lot less HD than either satellite operator & they decided to add it now and market it like crazy.

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    D* should soon have room to spare for Voom, if they chose to add it. I know the Voom channels are repetitive but they seem to show a lot of movies that are available nowhere else in HD right now.

In the near future D* will have plenty of bandwidth. If D* is to reach its numerical HD goal and be the "HD Leader," they need to add Voom as soon as they have the bandwidth. As has been said, however, they don't seem interested.

13. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    The only problem with adding VOOM is that Directv would be paying money monthly to CHarlie Ergen of DISH since he is 20% part owner in VOOM. I think that doesn't sit well with Rupert . I don't know how John Malone feels about it YET.

14. millertime

millertime Godfather

Sep 2, 2007
    Any update on this situation I would like to have these channels especially MONSTERS HD with Halloween approaching this would be a good time to add this....

15. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    All the shows that Monsters hd has had on in the past year have been on AMC at one time or another . AMC is having a all halloween fest of horror movies in October. IT won't be in hd but it will be the same shows that are on Monsters hd. THis channel is a good one to have but I've seen all the movies on it several times over. THey desperately need some new material.

16. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    VOOM used to be their on DBS...

But that folded, and E* became pretty much the national carrier of the VOOM content.

All indications, is that DirecTV will NOT adding the VOOM content to their lineup.

17. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Dies anyone know if the VOOM channels are one for all and all for one? Is it possible that a few of the VOOM channels could see the light of day and not all of them? The reason I ask is because I was at the Digital Life show in NY last year and the videogame channel that is on VOOM had a sign stating that they were on E* and coming soon to D* and cable.

18. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I am thinking that Voom's days are numbered unless D* picks it up, with all the new HD that is here and coming soon.

19. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    Many E* customers will even admit that Voom is HD filler material with a lot of repetition. Once it was precious HD programming, in an HD starved world, but with all the new HD networks coming online, who has time? My DVR is overflowing with HD shows I actually want to watch. The time of watching any program just because it is hi-def is over.

20. bafuerst

bafuerst AllStar

Feb 18, 2007
    Why is that a problem? Rupert owned Fox and Dish carries Fox channels. Malone owns Starz and Dish caries Starz. There is no good reason that should keep DirecTV from carrying Voom channels. Plus many people here say they don't like the Voom channels and I most likely would not watch them either; however I don't watch 2/3rds of the channels DirecTV offers but I'm sure someone else does. I my option DirecTV should carry every channel offered and let me decide whether I like them. I really don’t like the ideal of someone at DirecTV deciding I won’t like a channel or channel’s because they don’t want to pay Dish or whoever owns Voom for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.