1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

VOOM's current HDTV giveaway...

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by jgoggan, Apr 10, 2005.

1. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I just remembered that VOOM is in the middle of an HDTV giveaway promotion where they are giving out 5 HDTVs (plus a year of service) valued at over $4,000 each. My reading of the official legal rules indicates that they need to draw for at least one of these -- and possibly all five of these -- even though they are closing down. Since they aren't going bankrupt, it seems that they should have to do so.

Just curious if anyone else here has been installed the entry app (and kept it running on your machine -- as required by the rules)?

Any thoughts on this? I'm tempted to push the issue a bit with them since I really didn't want to leave their update/monitoring service running all the time on my machine (I'm not normally one to do that) and only did so because of the contest.

- John...

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Wow... The HDTV and a year of service is worth way over $4,000 considering that they will now have to continue renting satellite time and uplinking their service to provide the prize to these lucky five people. :lol: Imagine that. I wouldn't want to pay the taxes on the value of that prize. :( After all, you DO have to pay the tax on such prizes. :lol:

3. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Yes, but they reserve the right to substitute or pay cash value if the prize becomes "unavailable." I'm sure they meant the TV when they added the clause -- but looks like it may help them with the programming instead! heh.

- John...

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    If you win, they will send you VSH video tapes of the programs, but, similar (not simular) to NetFlix, you have to plan your VOOM viewing in advance. :whatdidid

5. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    :lol:

Maybe I should just send them a "hey -- about this contest you've got going on -- how about I magically win one of the TVs and I don't raise a stink about you not awarding all five of them before closing yours doors" email. ;)

- John...

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Go for it, John & good luck getting EMR out of a turnip! :D

7. jgoggan

Apr 2, 2002
    Just as an update, I got an email from VOOM stating that they were going to draw for the one HDTV on May 15th and award that one from all the currently entries. So, at least they gave it some thought and took some action on it. Impressive, actually -- I figured that they'd just forget about it.

- John...

8. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Theres probably a bunch of lawyers hoping they'd just forget about it too! :icon_lol: