1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wage gap for women in tech is surprisingly small

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Apr 25, 2014.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From Wage gap for women in tech is surprisingly small we learn:

For those of us who have daughters ...well, in my case, granddaughters... encouraging them to consider careers in tech fields might be a good idea.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Still a gap that should not be there.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    But it is and I can state that knowing what other people make compared to what my wife makes. The Glass Window still exists. Not nearly as bad as it was, but it's still there in most companies.

Rich

4. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I have to wonder how much of the gap is due to women not being in the field as long as men. Some fields of endeavor I can see women not wanting the job. I Suspect only a few women want a job where they have to handle boxes that weigh 60+ pounds all day long.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It also sometimes is part of a "what can I get away with"... It's not like employers want to be paying ANYONE much... IF they could get away with paying the men less too, then they would. But things being what they are, they are probably more easily able to get away with offering a woman less.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's a good point. Stats are easily skewed and your example is...well, a good example.

Rich

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Who are these 'techs' with 60lbs.boxes?

8. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    When I was working in the computer field, I would have to set up servers. Some of those Servers were darned heavy. I'd get a shipment and the bare server was heavy enough, Then start adding drives and other items and they were somewhat heavier. Then Plug it int and fire it up. Some of the Rack mount units would sound like a small jet engine until they had posted then they would quiet down to a loud roar.