1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Dead, Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by PrinceLH, Oct 14, 2012.

1. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Nice to see the Walking Dead, back on the tube. Episode 1 of year 3 was quite good, IMHO! I could do without the samurai woman and her two ghouls in chains, plus the overabundance of commercials in overdrive. All in all, it's looking good for year 3.

2. codespy

codespy Ted- Get some free agents NOW!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    As soon as the Packers get done whipping the Texans....I'm watching it. Too long of a wait!!

3. montanaxvi

montanaxvi Legend

Oct 2, 2008
    Scrambling to catch a re-run of it. For whatever reason the DVR didn't record it and in the scheduler list it says that it was canceled due to another showing being set to record??

4. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    In tonight's episode when they start being concerned about walker scratches and bites, it suddenly occured to me that it no longer makes sense to suppose that being scratched or bit by a walker would turn one into a walker. After all, the old premise was that being bit or scratched by a walker would infect you and then transform you into a walker. But now we know that everyone is already infected and transforms into a walker upon death, regardless of whether that death comes from a walker or from someone alive. This show has been very good on creating a logically coherent zombie apocalypse world. I hope there's something in future episodes which gives us a hint as to why bites and scratches still matter.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To be fair... bites and scratches matter because... you're being bitten/scratched by dead people... that likely are carrying all kinds of infections... and there's a lack of medical care and professional services in the apocalypse world... so you really want to avoid bites and scratched on general principle really.

6. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Its established that the bite causes a fatal fever/infection, they only assumed that it also caused the reanimation of the dead as well.
    The bites and scratches are still just as deadly as they were before.

My thoughts on season 1/Episode 1.

Good so far. Very faithful to the comic. Except for 1 point that can potentially ruin the entire series unless AMC quits penny pinching and hires on more characters from the comic.

Episode 1 spoiler regarding my concern~~

Hershel getting bit and losing his leg is cool and all, except that was supposed to happen to this guy
    http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Allen

So... basically since Allen doesnt exist in the TV show but there trying to be faithful to events that happen in the comic there substituting Hershel for allen.. Considering there are many comic characters that are not in the show right now it makes me wonder what will happen when these non existent characters die in this season.. if the show is faithful to the comic they have to have that characters death event in the show and will replace him with an established character.

That is perfectly fine for now... EXCEPT for in the future when that character is supposed to die. I.E. HERSHEL, who is going to sub hershels death in the future? Hes definitely going to die if hes the new psuedo Allen.

This character substitution makes the show faithful to the comic in regards to events but totally ****s up the death order of many characters and it could have all been avoided by adding a few more necessary characters from the comic.

7. John Strk

John Strk Legend

Oct 16, 2009
    Great first episode! Glad the show is finally back. Really looking forward to this season.

But why does this show look so bad on AMC HD? It's the only show on that channel that looks bad. The HD quality needs to improve!! :confused:

8. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I was hoping that it would have been a two hour episode, last night. They crammed so many commercials into that episode, it made it difficult to stay focused. The first 15 minutes, there were 3 commercial breaks. They must have hired some executives from Viacom, for this venture.

9. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    AMC was nicknamed "Almost Mostly Commercials" for a reason.
    I watched a HD pirated version of the episode with no commercials, it was bliss :)

The full episode was about 41 minutes long o.o

10. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I noticed my DVR had it set to record on Friday of this week. Not sure why, as there were no conflicts. I manually set it for last night and will keep an eye on it going forward. :confused:

EDIT: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=209452

11. heathramos

heathramos Legend

Dec 19, 2005
    why isn't blood splattering all over them, especially around their faces, a concern then?

12. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Because unfortunately the writers arent that smart.

*See season 2, when the cast cut there hands with knifes they used to kill walkers*

Thats really only a concern movies like the "28 Days: " series have addressed, other series,movies and comics generally avoid this so that they dont end off trying to find out clever ways to have there characters avoid being covered in blood or be forced to kill them off lol.

Not to mention if this was a concern to them then I doubt Glenn and Rick would cover them selves in zombie *stuff* in season one :)

13. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Good start to the season, anyone else surprised that there was people still living in the prison. That may add people to cover the missing characters from the comics and provide people to kill off.

14. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Not surprised considering there were living prisoners in the comics as well, so they wont be suitable for death substitutes either.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just remember, that while the show is inspired by the comic, it is not made to be exactly like the comic. There will be different sub-plots and story-lines, but I would expect that some things from the comic will be used...

Such as the prison and The Governor...

I would also re-iterate that if you want to talk about a specific episode of the series, to create a thread for just that episode.

- Merg

16. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Exactly, the creator himself says this will NOT follow the comics so quit trying to shoehorn things into the books storyline. I think you check for scratches and bites to ensure your survival, especially when you are sleeping right next to the person. Last thing you want is for them to turn when you are asleep.

I don't think you can use Zombie apocalypse and logical in the same sentence. Also in the Walking Dead world movies like Dawn of the Dead did not exist (also straight from the creators mouth) so it would be logical that the same "rules" we think we know from said movies also do not exist.

I noticed the chained walkers were "neutered" so to speak, no lower jaw to bite you with, no arms to grab you with.

17. codespy

codespy Ted- Get some free agents NOW!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Yes....the zombies in Dawn of the Dead ran pretty damn fast like normal humans, unlike WD.

And with such a wide hallway, why would Herschel step directly over "ankle-biter zombie" sitting up dead against a wall? In a zombie apocalypse, I would have walked around it rather than over it. :lol:

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It has already been established on the TV series (just as in the comic), though, that you die you turn... period... being bitten or scratched poses the same danger any bite or scratch poses in the real world (infection) but ratcheted up a few notches because of all the nasty stuff that would be on a corpse that bites or scratches you.

So... someone dies in their sleep of a heart-attack or natural causes... they wake up a zombie and if they wake before you, then you probably wake up to find yourself being a snack for that person.

In reality... all of these people should be sleeping alone now because of that very danger.

Actually, that does NOT logically follow.

The creator has said that the world of the Walking Dead, in his mind, is the same world from Night of the Living Dead... he was inspired by that movie to create his comic... so the reason why people in Walking Dead don't know those movies? Is because they are living IN the world of those movies.

There is every reason to assume the rules of Night of the Living Dead and Romero zombies are in play, because Robert Kirkman created this series based on "what if" we followed other people who exist in that world.

19. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    You may want to take the stuff Kirkman says on The Talking Dead with a grain of salt ;)
    As a longtime reader of his work, and interviews that dont show up on Talking Dead I can say he's very prone to doing what ever he wants with either of his work at any time.

To sit there and assume this wont happen with the show is very naive and very telling of the fact that your only watching one half of this universe.

And then they go and make episode 1(from season 3) a line for line, panel for panel, scene for scene recreation of the first Prison Issue of the comic? Minus the substitutes/Michonne scenes, everything you saw was ripped straight from the comic.

Right down to Rick telling Carol shes a good shot (he actually tells andrea this in the comic). To(season 3/Episode 1 spoiler)
    hershel getting bit, despite this happening to Allen in the comic
    , if the show continues down this path of ripping panels straight out of the comic and putting them on TV your going to see many more substitutes.

Now this is ofcourse not a big deal for those of you who dont prefer to read the comic, however this actually has alot of the comic fans in an uproar because it can literally ruin entire events to come.

That was a scapegoat remark because the writers were to stupid to realize they screwed up in season 2 with Rick/Shane cutting them selves with "infected" knives. He was covering there asses ;)

In actuality Kirkman references MANY zombie movie clich├ęs, lines and what not many times through out all of the other TWD media. In fact the term zombie is used in Issue 1 and iirc they reference a zombie flick in it too.

edit:
    She keeps them around to scare other zombies (seriously) and also because these to were near and dear to her pre-apocalypse.

20. EdJ

EdJ Legend

Jan 9, 2007
    I got the impression that she uses them as 'pack mules'. In one of the scenes, it looked like the chained zombies had packs on them carrying the supplies.