1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmart drops price on iPhone 3GS by $100

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by CoriBright, May 25, 2010.

1. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Sure it's only the 16gb version but it's one big discount! :girlscrea

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37325517/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

and

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=1045939

We just went to our 24 hour store to find out Electronics and Wireless are only available 9am to 9pm, so we're waiting up to be first in line later today. Thankfully Pahrump isn't what you would call a busy township. :joy:

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    All part of the plan. I really expect it to go to $100 or so from AT&T and Apple directly next month, replacing the 3G as the cheap model.

3. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I know it is the old model, but $100 for a 16 gb smartphone is pretty crazy if you think about it. 5 years ago, no one would have beleived it. Imagine five years from now!!

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Best Buy had a refurb sale for slightly less (you could get a 32GB 3GS for about $100 I believe) a couple of months ago...

But, other than that... this is the best time to consider an iPhone. If you are on a tight budget, you can get a cheap last-year model OR you can wait a few weeks and pay the same as "normal" price for the newly announced models.

There's really nothing wrong with last year's models... heck, I'm on a 3G (not a 3GS) and have been happy and not tempted to upgrade until I see what happens with this year's models.

5. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    To argue the other point, when you consider you are going to pay $70 a month for two years with the iPhone for a total of about 1700 bucks, the upfront cost being $100 or $300 is not that signifcant in the overal scheme of things.

I too am on a now "anchient" 3G and am waiting to see what happens in June and possibly to see if Verizon gets a model of the iPhone or not. I got mine at launch and my battery is just about dead as a doornail thogh, so I will be using my Applecare to get a new one soon so if I have to wait I still have a usable phone.

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The even crazier thing is you can get 16gb MicroSD cards for around $50! Makes a lot of phones able to go up to 16gb pretty easily, though a lot of them have pretty crappy music players.

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, that is one valid point... although, I'd hedge on counting the whole $70 against just the iPhone.

Any phone you get is going to probably cost at least $40 per month for voice-only service... So I really only consider that mandatory $30 data plan w/ AT&T to be the part my iPhone is costing me more than if I chose some other phone and didn't have to get a data plan with it.

So I'd count $30 * 24 months ($720) as what my iPhone is costing me per month to own... since I'd be paying the other $40 per month if I had kept my old dumb-phone.

8. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    True enough. It is just funny to me that people are so concerned about paying $99 or $200 when they never even consider the cost of the data plan.

My wife got a Tilt2 a while back (she had to have a real keyboard due to fingernails making capacitve touch a no no) and we got a 8 gig microSD card. I was dumbfounded by just how small that thing was in you hand.

9. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    We had to drive a bit but found two black ones in the Fort Apache Walmart Superstore in Las Vegas. Pahrump Walmart was completely out and had no clue about the price drop. The folks in the line at Fort Apache Walmart had found the same thing in Centennial Hills WM, and Spring, Texas is also out.

So it takes time to find 'em, but once you do, grab 'em.

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    When my sister got her phone during the Best Buy special sale a month or two back, I explained that to her.

They had options for a free 8GB iPhone all the way up to ~$150 for the 32GB 3GS model.

The push for her to think of getting one was the cheap prices on the refurb models... but I talked her out of the free one and into the $50 16GB 3GS model.

My logic was that after paying the up-front, her phone bill for the next 2 years was going to be the bigger commitment since she was getting a good deal on the entry price... and IF she liked having the phone at all, she'd wish she had the 16GB model.

I couldn't push for the extra $100 on the 32GB model because honestly I have only half-filled my 16GB at the almost-2-year mark... so by the time she figured she might want more, she'd be eligible to upgrade again and know better what she wanted by then.

11. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    When did Wal-Mart start selling iPhones?

12. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    8 or 9 month ago here, they always where ATT authorized