1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmart Wants to Be Your Movie Cloud

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by Athlon646464, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA

This looks insane to me. Why would anyone do this?

​Excerpt:

"Here’s how it works. First, you need a Vudu account, which is free (unlike Netflix, you pay for videos individually). You walk your DVDs into a Walmart store, and there you load them into a device of some sort (a self-serve kiosk is the mostly likely scenario) and then purchase the rights to a digital cloud copy. Yes, you purchase the right to a movie you already own. In this case it’s $2 for a standard definition version or $5 for a high-def version (you don’t need a Blu-ray disc to convert your title to high definition). You can then take your discs back home with you. The process doesn’t actually upload the content of the disc, it just authorizes the title to be placed into your cloud locker. If you try to take in a disc your neighbor already authorized, a team of Walmart greeters will wrestle you to the floor."

[​IMG]

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Interesting idea. I guess Walmart is trying to get their piece of the pie by charging the fee.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    This reminds me of the Chinese saying "a fool and his money are soon parted". I was in a Sam's Club the other day. There were several titles in their DVD isle that contained a BluRay, DVD, and Digital copy. Does one really need multiple formats of the same movie?

4. sledgehammer1367066128

sledgehammer1367066128 New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Let me see ..... Sam's/Walmart + fool + money = ?

I'm sure that's what the MPAA/RIAA would love to see.

5. Jazz308

Jazz308 New Member

Apr 22, 2013
    East...
    Wouldn't you think that Walmart could come up with something better? Easier? A right from home sort of thing? It's Walmart for goodness sake! This is one "Great Offer" I will not take part in!