1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want a handheld tuning device...which one?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Arkapigdiesel, May 30, 2011.

1. Arkapigdiesel

Arkapigdiesel Cool Member

Jul 2, 2010
    From what I can gather, it seems like a bird dog is the popular choice. Need one that will work with the Slimline 5 MRV head. I'll only use it every once in awhile, so spending a lot of money isn't an option.

What make & model would be your recommendation?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    By your conditions I would use $20 satfinder and a receiver itself !

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You're going to spend $200 to $500 (or more) for a Birdog.

You can get an Accutrac 22 for about $100.

There are a bunch of other meters in between those two (price wise).

For infrequent use, I agree totally with P Smith - get a really cheap meter and an old SD receiver (like a D11). If you need to align SWiM LNB's, then add the ASL-1 and a power inserter.

4. Arkapigdiesel

Arkapigdiesel Cool Member

Jul 2, 2010
    My Dad and I will be splitting the cost, so getting a used handheld tuner is doable.

Been looking at the Birdog USB Plus model.....will that do all I need it to do? Both my Dad and I have SL5 setups with MRV heads/SWM setups. Is it as simple as plugging up to the dish, choosing which bird we want to look at in the menu options and tuning the dish?

5. liquidctv

liquidctv Legend

Oct 13, 2010
    What you are looking for is BirDog Ultra, DirecTV AIM meter, or maybe SuperBuddy. All are $500+

The BirDog Plus doesn't do Swim. It reads the powered swim signal on the wire (i.e. in the house), but will not power the LNB by itself (i.e. on the roof).

So for the Plus, generally you have to swap out the swim LNB for a regular one, align it, and then swap it back. A work-around is to run coax up to the roof, with the power inserter on it, drop in a 2-way splitter and read the powered signal that way. Or drag a power cord up there, and put the inserter on the roof with you.

For occasional use, this might be good enough.