1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to add a Genie Client - Do I need an 8-way splitter?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JayHawk91, Aug 13, 2013.

1. JayHawk91

JayHawk91 New Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Olathe, KS
    I would like to add a Genie client to an additional TV. I'm currently at the eight tuner limit with 1-HR34, 1-HR22, and 1-HR24. I have read that using a Genie client will not count as a tuner (because it uses HR34 resources). However, my CCK is utilizing a connection on my 4 way splitter. I have read through Solid Signal's DirecTV networking guide and found a sentence that reads "hook up one end to a coax cable attached to your satellite dish or multiswitch." I do have four coax cables coming down from the dish (SWM)- only one is connected (to the IN on the splitter). Can I use one of the unused multiswitch connections for the CCK? Is there reason to believe that the installer only connected one of the four multiswitch runs at the dish? It's 24 feet up so it's a little tricky to verify.

In short, I'm just trying to determine if I need the 8 way splitter or can I free up the connection the CCK is using?

Attached is my current wiring diagram.

Attached Files:

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You probably have 4 coaxes coming from the dish but using only 1 from a SWiM 8 LNB. However, you're over the 8 limit with HR34 (5 tuners), HR24 (2 tuners) and HR22( 2 tuners). (The other 3 coaxes are left over from earlier equipment)

The CCK isn't taking any tuner space -- it's just connecting back to your router for internet access for the DECA cloud.

And Genie Clients don't take tuner space. . . so you can connect a 2 way splitter and add a client.

You need to call about 9 tuners on the Swim 8 or limit one dvr to 1 tuner.

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Going by the picture, not the text, I think its an H24, not HR24. The OP is at 8 tuners.
    So maybe no issue.

SWM LNB's have only one coax coming out. At least mine did.

Easiest way for the OP might be to just remove one coax off the 4 way, add a 2way splitter on the coax with the shortest run.

Don't go to an 8 way, you will introduce a lot more loss. A 2way adds only 3-4 db loss.

And be sure its a Green Label approved 2way. I recommend Solid Signal

Update
    Just thought of an alternative. Get a wireless client if available to the OP.
    The Wireless Video Bridge can be connected on an existing coax, no additional splitter needed as it as a pass thru. And the wireless client won't need coax.

4. JayHawk91

JayHawk91 New Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Olathe, KS
    Yes it is a H24 not HR, what a rookie mistake!

I was ready to order an 8 way splitter just thinking it would be a cleaner install - but I will heed your advice and just get the 2 way since that will meet my needs for now.

The wireless CCK did cross my mind but I still like the consistency of a hardwired connection where possible. (Maybe 'old-school' thinking')

Thank you very much for the timely responses and advice. Guess I will call DTV tomorrow to get pricing and compare to solid signal, etc.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The wireless CCK can be used for hardwired connections (and can feed the signal through to another device).

6. JayHawk91

JayHawk91 New Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Olathe, KS
    Just to cover all the options:

Is it true that the HR44 will do the job of the CCK when the ethernet port is connected to the home network?

I'm not upgrading soon - just wanted to complete my understanding.

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, indeed. It's both a DECA unit and a bridge to your other units via the coax.