1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to give equipment to relative

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jhart4545, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhart4545

jhart4545 New Member

Aug 14, 2007
    My dad has Directv and I want to give him my old Directv TIVO receiver. What does he need to do to activate it and start using it? Does he have to buy a card? How much will the card cost? Thanks.

2. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Yes, you can give him your old Tivo. Yes, he will need a new card to activate it. It's $20.

3. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Just call D* and have your Dad tell them he was given the receiver and wanted to activate it. They will send him a new card and charge $20 to the account. When your Dad receives the card, he will put it in, call D* to activate and re-run Guided Setup. I just did this last week for my in-laws with our 2 old HR10-250's.

4. smileynev

smileynev Cool Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I gave my in laws our old Directivo and was able to transfer the card from their current box to the new one with no fee.

5. HolyRoses

HolyRoses Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    depends on the CSR you get regarding that. Lots of times they will waive the $20 fee for a card also.

dish network sells them cards for $50...

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums HolyRoses and jhart4545! :welcome_s

Another way to transfer the receiver without the $20 charge might be to replace an existing receiver on his account and switch the card from the replaced unit to the one you're giving. Sometimes even a very old receiver that is no longer on his account will do if he isn't replacing.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. Blackz06

Blackz06 AllStar

Mar 5, 2007
    To anyone reading that isn't sure, the person that you give the receiver to has to be a current D* sub, can't be a new sub.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Also should mention, not related to the OP but just for people reading, this applies to non-leased receivers. If you have a D10, D11, D12, H10, H20, R15, or HR20 your unit is non-transferrable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.