1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Wanted: Screen Mesh for electronics cabinet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Fontano, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Fontano

Fontano Godfather DBSTalk Club

Feb 7, 2008
    I am looking to replace the glass panel in my AV cabinet with a dark screen mesh. So we can close the door, but still allow air flow and IR to go through.

I am having a hard time finding the right search terms in Google.

Any idea what key words I should be sending?
    Or better yet, any recommendations on sites to get it from?

Only need about a 2.5ft by 4ft piece.

2. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Try searching for "speaker mesh fabric".

3. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    You could also try using window screen fabric. You should be able to get black screen at Home Depot or Lowes.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
  5. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers DIRECTV A-Team

Sep 22, 2006
    I checked with a friend who does very high end home theater work. He said he knows of no IR transparent cloth and they have had spotty and inconsistent results with metal screen. They prefer the certainty of Dinky Link products.

6. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    That's exactly why I suggested fabric screen, which is generally made of fiberglass. That should be IR transparent, and can be gotten in grey or charcoal.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Oops, I missed the "IR transparent" requirement...

8. Fontano

Fontano Godfather DBSTalk Club

Feb 7, 2008
    Thanks for the links, very helpful

9. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    Please keep in mind that although acoustically transparent speaker mesh material is IR transparent, it is NOT as transparent in regards to air flow. If your concern is to allow your components to "breath" without having to leave the cabinet doors open, then putting speaker mesh probably will not help.

I have an entertainment cabinet that houses an AV receiver, along with several D* HD DVRs. To keep the look consistent with the mesh of the center channel speaker enclosure, we also put speaker mesh on the cabinet doors.

It turned out that the temperature in the cabinets (we have a temp gauge in there) would still be too high and we had to leave the doors open to allow sufficient air flow to cool it down.

We ended up removing the mesh from the cabinet doors and now it just looks like "spotless glass" on those doors.

I am now considering putting a large-opening, thin metal mesh on the doors instead. Sort of like a chicken-wire type, speaker grill.

10. tlm1939

tlm1939 New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Try Rockler products (rockler. com) that are available to woodworking hobby enthusiasts, search on screens or grille.

11. Leonardo Rosel

Leonardo Rosel New Member

Jun 13, 2010