1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Warning: Auto bill pay & paperless w/o authorization

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Kiwipi, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Kiwipi

Kiwipi New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Just wanted to warn new DirectTV subscribers about being enrolled in autobill pay and paperless w/o your knowledge or consent by salesguy.

Be sure to check your online account and take a look at the overview section to see if you are enrolled for both/either. If you call to makes changes, verify online!

2. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Additionally, Auto-Bill-Pay (ABP) with paperless (email) billing can save some customers $10 for 24 months, depending on 3 things:
    1) credit
    2) if your order has a HD-DVR or Genie (advanced receiver fee of $25/month)
    3) done at the point of sale (POS) or by calling 800-531-5000 prior to installation (use account number, aka billing ID)

There is no discount for HD receivers only, or standard DVR (even though these are also advanced receivers, the fee is $10/month)

-=K=-

3. Kiwipi

Kiwipi New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Thanks. Yep, some good discounts available for some if you sign up for autopay and paperless bill. But you have to give AUTHORIZATION to enroll in both options.

In my case I ordered standard and no DVR, Genie and do not appreciate being enrolled in autobill pay and paperless without my authorization nor being informed of the fact. Had I not created an online account and looked at overview, I would have been waiting for the bill to arrive and pay since that is what the salesguy told me to do. Plus, I had planned to enroll in autopay with a different credit card than the one I gave to pay for the initial taxes only. And I prefer paper bills.

In any case, be aware of your account and billing since the company's best interest is profits, not your consumer rights. I've read way too many horror stories about DirecTV's shady practices of withdrawing money from debit/checking accounts without permission or notice and don't plan to fall for it. Being an informed consumer is good for your wallet! And call out shady practices and share tips with fellow subscribers.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I have had Auto Bill Pay for about 15 years with no problems at all.
    They send you an email of the exact bill so you can see all charges, credits, etc. Never needed to contest anything.

5. Kiwipi

Kiwipi New Member

Aug 17, 2013
    Good to hear! Thanks.

I usually have no prob with autopay + paperless billing.

Majority of the complaints I read online were related to some sports package and getting charged for equipment after cancellation even though they were returned.

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The sports related complaints were from people who didn't understand what 'auto-renewal' means, didn't pay attention to their bills for months or both.

My NHL CI auto-renewal has been listed at $0.00 for months and starting with my July bill, this comment was added:
    So this Important Renewal Notice will have been sent to me three times before the season starts.

Watch what happens here after the NFL season starts. There will be a number of posts from people who are getting billed for NFL ST and 'didn't know anything about it'.

7. nitrohero

nitrohero New Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Very good point about auto-billing, which is prevalent with sports channels. Make sure to call beforehand or you're going to see a hefty bill.

8. Dec 1, 2013 #8 of 10
    Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I have never been signed up for auto bill pay ever as a directv customer... recently i canceled some premium channels... 2 days later i get a email that my credit card (its a prepaid one) has been decined... Went online and sure enough i was enrolled in auto bill pay!

1 person likes this.
  9. saxylady

saxylady New Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Montana
    Typically, you can cancel it in the first week without having any penalty and you get your first payment back. The charges usually start in July because it's "Early Renewal", but it takes a bit to get it taken off. Usually you call in to general customer service and then they connect you with the NFL saves team, who can give you offers on the price so that you keep it. Prices are going to increase for NFL this next year but i'm not sure on how much as it isn't in policy yet. Also, when you remove it make sure you ask them to set it to not auto renew for next season.

10. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    The only thing added without my consent is regular Protection Plan, but i think it has to do with the warranty if it ever have any issues for replacement, Usually is added when upgrading or getting additional receivers, But it doesn't kick in for a couple of months, So it can be removed right away without any penalties.