1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning - DECA and DirecTV2PC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by AVPhan, May 23, 2010.

1. AVPhan

AVPhan AllStar

Jun 22, 2006
    It may be mentioned else where but I think this needs to be separated for all concerned.

DECA Will remove the HRxx from your Ethernet network unless you specifically asked for it to also hooked up to your network.
    I did not know this so now My DirecTV2PC is not connecting to the HR2X.
    Scheduled for another install to have the DECA to be connecting to my router for D2PC to work.

If you are having DECA installed and do use DirecTV2PC, specifically mention that when ordering to get additional DECA unit to connect to your router.

In the mean time, I am out on D2PC until installation.

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yeah, that's been mentioned all over the place. And not just DirecTV2PC, you'll need the extra DECA adapter for internet access for On Demand and PPV ordering as well.

3. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Sorry, but isn't this obvious? :confused: All the receivers are coax-connected. The PC is Ethernet-connected. No 'Broadband DECA' to bridge the coax network to Ethernet = no On Demand, no Apps, no DirecTV2PC, no MediaShare.

Now what I don't understand is why the default for CSRs isn't the NET included option. :(

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    And since the internet replaces the phone line, I don't understand why DirecTV wouldn't encourage this setup. It helps them to ensure PPVs are paid for in a timely manner and that all receivers are hooked up in the same house.

5. AVPhan

AVPhan AllStar

Jun 22, 2006
    Not to mentioned, it just WIPED OUT 50% OF PROGRAMS I HAD ON A 1TB EXTERNAL ESATA DISK.
    TOtally re-formatted the disk.

6. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    ?? If it had reformatted, wouldn't it have wiped out 100% of your programs? And when did this happen during an install?

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Not sure I follow that logic.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Bet someone" moved back to an older version of the NR and lost recent recordings.

9. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yup, that's gotta be it.

10. AVPhan

AVPhan AllStar

Jun 22, 2006
    I meant the disk was about 50% full with programs on it.
    It is now 100% free.

Not sure at what point in time. when checking the now playing, kept not seeing the list on this one DVR, kept thinking the esata not in tact (revert to internal), so had to restart a couple of times and check the external and indeed, it was reformatted sometimes during the install.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Agreed. I wish I had thought to specify I wanted my Internet hooked back up. I'm sure eventually I'll be able to get that fixed.

12. kyledr04

kyledr04 Cool Member

May 14, 2010
    Exactly. I've been on the phone with Directv trying to get this resolved too. When I ordered whole home DVR I never expected the internet connection not be included. Now they're telling me is a separate charge and install.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It may be hard to believe, but not everyone has a broadband connection.

14. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    A temporary fix...On a box that has the DECA connected, connect your LAN to the ethernet port on the DECA and another to the ethernet port on your DVR. This will get everything on the network until a permanent solution is installed. During that time, MRV on that box will go through your LAN not DECA.

15. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    If you have an H24 or HR24, connecting an ethernet to the RJ45 jack will disable DECA.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As I understood the "temp fix", it was to use DECA for MRV & disconnect it for DirecTV2PC by using ethernet. Then swap back [and reboot DVR] to get it back on DECA.

17. dmonroe

dmonroe New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I just upgraded to an HR24/H23 MRV via DECA. The multiswitch has a DECA connected to a wired port on my DSL wireless modem for internet connectivity.
    My PC is wireless. The 2PC software can't communicate with the HR24 so I'm assuming I need to add another DECA to a wired port on my PC to get 2PC to work? I believe this will keep the video off of my wireless network but still allow 2PC to get the video from the DECA network?

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I think the thread title is misleading a bit on this...

I have DECA, SWiM, and DIRECTV2PC operates using HR24 and HR21 here just fine here, with all programs showing and viewable. Nothing got deleted or reformatted.

I believe VOS addressed the OP situation, but in terms of the general heading statement that infers that DECA and DIRECTV2PC cannot co-exist..that would seem to be inaccurate.

19. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If, during the install, the installer forced a firmware update (which they should not be doing) and you were using a CE (beta firmware), then you would lose all recordings done with the CE, when he forced the download (as it would revert to the NR (national release)).

I was faced with a similar issue, and made a point of telling (and supervising) the installer. I told him, under no circumstances was he to force an update when restarting any of my receivers. He said, "We stopped doing that, because some people lost their recordings).

Now, as a matter of accuracy, the CE firmware notes clearly state this trade-off if you revert from the CE to the NR. Knowing this, precautions should have been taken.

If there was no CE involved, then it appears the hard drive had a "fault" that required it to be reformatted in order for the install to continue.

20. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    No, that doesn't make sense. :nono2:
    If there's already a DECA (with power supply) attached to yor DSL 'modem', that should bridge all the DECA devices.

What is the IP address of the HR24 (Setup-Info & Test-More System Info)? If not one of your 'normal' home network addresses (typically 192.168.1.something), make sure there's nothing connected to the HR24 RJ45 port and go to Repeat Network Setup in Setup-Network.