1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning to owners of Popcorn Hour/Syabas NMT

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Ken S, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    If you own a Popcorn Hour or other Syabas powered Network Media Tank (www.popcornhour.com) and since the latest HR2x firmware upgrade your Popcorn Hour has become inoperative or constantly reports "Request Cannot Be Processed" the problem lies with a conflict between the device and the HR2x.

We can't be sure which company's software is causing the problem and there are reports going back and forth of cooperation/non-cooperation.

At the present time the only way to easily allow your Popcorn Hour device to operate is to disconnect all of your HR2X DVRs from the network. The PCH should immediately free-up and operate properly. You will of course lose the network enabled features on the HR2x.

Hopefully, one or both of these companies will realize that it might be customer friendly to fix the issue and do so.

2. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Well, here's an update on the matter. If the Popcorn Hour/Syabas people are to be believed the problem lies with the HR2x. Let's hope DirecTV can resolve this issue.

Thank you also to the DirecTV engineer willing to admit to the error and hopefully he/she will be allowed to fix it.

It's a shame that something wasn't done about this three months ago when it was originally reported.
    ----------

DirectTV engineer acknowledge us that they found some issue on their upnpav server and currently trying to do the testing on their patch. They said will give us the result next week. Meanwhile, we also working with a customer to try out our upnp workaround for this issue. From the Ethereal captured packet, seems like DirectTV return an invalid response to our upnp browse command.
    by: Popcorn Hour Support on 10/28/2008 4:05:53 AM

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    A little further information. According to the PCH support group DirecTV has said they will have some kind of fix within the next two weeks.

4. AJ500

AJ500 Cool Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ken S,

Thanks for keeping your foot on the pedal for this issue!

5. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    No problem. The Thanks should go to the Popcorn Hour support group. They're open and willing to communicate with customers...it's refreshing.

From what I've heard DirecTV really needs to clean-up their UPnP implementation. They had problems with UPnP cameras early on, now the PCH and their network services.

6. Nov 7, 2008 #6 of 60
    durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I just got a Popcorn Hour and experienced the problems. Thankfully, the Popcorn Hour forum helped me figure out what's going wrong. Unplugging my HR20 from the network got my PCH working.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if the HR2x and the Popcorn Hour unit can learn to play together, wouldn't that mean that I could stream my HR2x recordings to the Popcorn Hour in another room?

7. Nov 7, 2008 #7 of 60
    rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    If it can do DLNA client and support the proper encryption I believe it should?

8. Nov 7, 2008 #8 of 60
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Anyone at DirecTV want to comment on fixing this problem? I wonder what other UPnP devices/servers the HR2x series is breaking as well.

9. Nov 7, 2008 #9 of 60
    durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    I'm still learning about it's capabilities but I believe it can handle the DLNA client aspect, but I'm not sure about encryption.

Before I unhooked the HR20 from the network, I was able to see it as a Source option on the PCH (until the PCH hit it's error loop). I really liked the idea of having MRV at my disposal.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    My guess is it's not just the capability to handle encryption that is important, but it would have to a have a key of some sort from DirecTV.

11. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Ken as our resident authority on the popcorn box..

I just had an epiphany reading the issues thread for 0x29b. Is it possible since we seem to have an issue with other UPnP devices on the network, that other UPnP devices/requests are what cause the HRx hangs we see that are alleviated when people disconnect them from the LAN?

Just a thought. Maybe we should try to bash a lan with a HRx on it with UPnP requests and see what happens? It may be me prominent a problem where people are using hub instead of etherswitches on their network as well.

12. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Yesterday, the exact same thing started happening with my ViiV server and the HR20 and 21. (this was the first time I had tried media share since the software update). I re-booted the HR21 and the problem went away on both machines (the 20 is networked throught the 21).

13. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    you may have something there, even people using the router as a hub may be included.
    I use switches and seemingly have less problems than a lot with lockups and stuff, wonder if this does affect it. I've never had to unplug lan on any of my 3 units.

14. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah my own layout is;

Hr20-100-to Etherswitch to router And
    Hr22-100-to-WGA600n-Router

So I could be fairly well isolated too, but this just may be the issues folks report.

15. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Just to add to the data. My HR20 and HR21 are both connected through a switch. I also have a wireless printer hub that is UPNP tied to the router.

I have not had any issues with lockups.

16. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I don't believe they would need a key or anything from DirecTV. The encryption is a link level encryption that is setup when the stream is started and is not tied to or related to the normal encryption of the signal at all.

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Yes, it is possible over a year ago I worked with a DirecTV engineer (through a former host here) on fixing a UPnP issue where a Panasonic wireless camera would lock up the HR20 almost immediately. DirecTV was able to fix that problem in their code.

18. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Ok so what may help here in the future is anyone who clears their lockups by taking their HR off their LAN should post anything and everything they have networked and/or accessing their network?

19. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Here's the latest from the Popcorn Hour folks.

1. It is a confirmed problem with the DirecTV network responses. It's not specific to the Popcorn Hour and could cause problems with other networked devices.

2. They (PCH devs) are developing and testing a "workaround" to hopefully be included in their next firmware release.

3. DirecTV has contacted them and may do a build in the next week or two that addresses this issue. I don't know whether this build would be available here or anywhere publicly.

20. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Ken,

Thanks for the update. Is there any way we could get more detail on this or are we bordering on trade secrets or is it standard networking stack stuff?

They say it can affect other devices, could the affected device in turn send out a packet that then locks up an HRx?

NM found the thread.