1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wash locals channels changed to Balt

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tcole6414, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcole6414

tcole6414 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I live the same distance from Balt and Wash.

When I signed up for DirecTV , I was assured that I could pay an extra $5 to get the Wash local news and local sports.

Just got a letter saying a survey has changed has decided that Baltimore stations should be now be considered "local". And they have the nerve to say its "Great news".

In the Fall, the Redskins always play at the same time as the Ravens. And I'll only get the Ravens games. I don't want to pay for Sunday Ticket just to watch what I consider the local team (Redskins)!

I've call DTV and they say, there is nothing that I can do...

HELP....Is there anything that I can do? It's not like I moved...DirectTV is SCREWING Me...

2. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I was unaware of any definition in the Washington DMA along these lines. I always thought that Mount Airy was near Frederick and in the Washington DMA. What county is it in? Who told you that you would get two sets of locals? And who sent the letter?

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Its not directv, they have no control over the DMA boundaries, and they definitely have no input into how the blackouts work.

4. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Just for grins and giggles I typed the Mt. Airy MD zip code into the DirecTV database and it told me that it qualifies for DC locals. This is curious.

5. ajseagles3

ajseagles3 Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    This is pretty much what you deserve for being a Redskins fan in the first place.

6. tcole6414

tcole6414 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    The town Zip code covers four counties (Carroll, Frederick, Howard, Mont). I am in Carroll. We are always on "the line" for anything to do with both Balt/Wash.

But when I signed up a couple of years ago, I was told that DTV consider our area "Wash" and never said anything about changing that.

The only local I as told that I could get was Wash, but that has now changed.

7. tcole6414

tcole6414 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    that's right, back in the playoffs and on the way to the Suoperbowl next year...

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS...

8. ajseagles3

ajseagles3 Legend

Feb 16, 2006
    You have two choices: pay Daniel Snyder's outrageous ticket prices (if you can even find tickets), or pay DirecTV's outrageous NFL Sunday Ticket price.

Or, a third... switch to cable.

Or, a fourth... OTA locals with kick-ass antenna.

P.S. The Redskins will not even sniff the Suoperbowl (sic) next year.

9. kenpac89

kenpac89 Legend

Jan 3, 2006
    When did you get this letter?

I live in Frederick. I wonder if that applies to me. Did they already change your channels? Or did they provide a date as to when this will happen? I still had DC channels when I went to work today. I wish we had both Baltimore and DC channels.

10. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    It shouldn't take much antenna unless he's in a forest or at the bottom of a big hill ....

I get Wash locals easily OTA, 40 miles, CM3021 in attic. In fact, they come in stronger and more stable than Baltimore locals, at 10 miles.

11. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002

Well DMAy are by county. But I am confused. Did you get two sets of locals for a couple of years? That is the part that is news to me. I have never heard of anyone getting two sets of locls---although you seem to be charged for both.

12. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    I'll let him answer for himself. But, from his first post it seems that he was just paying $5 for locals (Wash only) just like we all do...

The SVC stuff is still in its infancy and is rolling out. That's where you can get locals from two areas that are considered "significantly viewed channels."

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    My guess is his DMA changed and of course its unacceptable to him now...

14. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    From some info a long time ago, I think DirecTV placed the entire Mt. Airy zip into the Washington DC DMA. However, since the DMA lines in Maryland are entirely by county, DirecTV was probably violating the law by providing those in Howard and Carroll Counties the Washington DC locals. Those two counties have been in the Baltimore DMA for a very long time, so residents of Mt. Airy in Howard and Carroll Counties should have been receiving the Baltimore locals. Hopefully, if significantly-viewed comes to pass, a few of these Baltimore DMA counties will get the DC networks.

15. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Hudson, FL
    Could "significantly viewed" come into play here.

16. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't know what he meant by the "Extra $5". I know of no change in the line between those DMAs. But if he is in Carroll County he should have been getting Baltimore all along. But Carroll is closer to Balt than DC and he says he is equidistant from the two.

As for SV it is here now. Some people in the Baltimore DMA get one or more DC stations. But not the Fox affiliate that shows Redskin games. An antenna pointed at DC might help.

17. HD921

HD921 AllStar

May 1, 2004
    After the Redskins Giants and Dallas detroys the Eagles twice each next year They will be so far in the basement they will never get out. Serves you right for sending T.O. to Dallas. Eagle are the loosers of the NFC east. :hurah:

18. John Duncan Yoyo

John Duncan Yoyo Mentor

Nov 22, 2005
    Bet T.O. will do as much damage to Dallas as he did in Philadelphia. He is a prima donna. A useless pile of ego in a team game. I'm just glad he went to the NFC east where it will do the Eagles some good.:p

As for significantly watched- I'm just outside the DC beltway in Fairfax County Virginia and I can pull in the Baltimore stations OTA with out much trouble. I was testing small set with rabbit ears and got most of the Baltimore stations clear as a bell.

I'm guessing non-cable/sattelite households may watch both DMAs fairly frequently. I remember that they shut off the Baltimore stations in the early nineties on Arlington counties cable system.

19. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Sadly no Baltimore station is considered SV in Fairfax

20. Greg Bimson

Greg Bimson Hall Of Fame

May 5, 2003
    For some reason, probably because people with antennas weren't watching Baltimore stations from the DC metro area, the Batlimore stations were removed from the significantly-viewed list from the DC metro area counties. This even includes DC-bordering Montgomery and Prince George's County, where some areas are actually closer to Baltimore than they are to DC. I grew up in PG County, and the cable system there had both DC and Baltimore channels. The Baltimore locals have since been removed. I understand that to be the case in every county bordering the District.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.