1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasn't there a deal with NBC?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by fancydancy, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fancydancy

fancydancy Legend

Nov 29, 2005
    I can't recall exactly, but I thought about a year ago DIRECTV had a deal in place to show NBC shows on demand for free or $1. This DOD feature is cool but not much use for me until the networks and HBO are up and running. Are there going to be complications for the networks because the channel numbers are different depending on your local market?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    LONG ago... there was an announcement...

Not sure if it is still going to be applied to "today's" DoD

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would think it would benefit NBC to be available, and I know they are on some cableco VOD systems, so it's not impossible.

4. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    The OP brings up a good question ... just how will VOD channels for the broadcast networks be numbered? DIRECTV has been adding 1000 to the regular channel number to get the VOD channel number, but with local networks, what will DIRECTV do? Use the DNS channel numbers + 1000?

5. jwebb1970

jwebb1970 Legend

Oct 3, 2007
    When I was still w/ Comcast, NBC offered their major pilots from this season (BIONIC WOMAN, CHUCK, LIFE, JOURNEYMAN) OnDemand (and in HD/5.1) for about 2 wks before they aired, as well as several promos spots for returning/upcoming shows. After the season started, they vanished.

CBS & ABC did have several OnDemand offerings, both SD & HD. CBS offered CSI & JERICHO in HD (as well as all their primetime dramas & SURVIVOR in SD). ABC had recently gone live w/ a small handful of shows (DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, DIRTY SEXY MONEY), both HD/SD.

Remember hearing that network OnDemand via Comcast was market area dependant. Considering D* is a nation-wide market and DoD is Internet-based, and D* has the corporate pull that it possesses, I would imagine all major nets will eventually hop on the DoD bandwagon after it goes national for all subscribers.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Probably "eventually"... if the DoD takes off.
    You will see in the contracts for the DoD, "channel placement" requirements.

But ultimately... they would probably just get a number in a "national network" block.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.