DBSTalk Forum banner

Watch ESPN iOS App

10K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  bwaldron 
#1 ·
I've loved the recent TVEverywhere additions. I'm just wonder when DIRECTV is going to be added to the provider list on the "watch ESPN" app. It would sure be handy during college football season.

#3 ·
The current deal with ESPN expires at the end of the year, I would love to have WatchESPN and I suspect D* will gun for that as recent trends have shown with their latest deals.

#4 ·
espnjason said:
The current deal with ESPN expires at the end of the year, I would love to have WatchESPN and I suspect D* will gun for that as recent trends have shown with their latest deals.
DTV has asked for it on numerous occasions and ESPN has said no, not unless DTV takes Longhorn and other nonsense at a cost of several billion dollars over the course of the contract.

Simply put, it's not happening any time soon.

#5 ·
ChicagoBlue said:
DTV has asked for it on numerous occasions and ESPN has said no, not unless DTV takes Longhorn and other nonsense at a cost of several billion dollars over the course of the contract.
I didn't realize D* already asked for it.

I thought carrying the online counterpart would be built into the carriage agreements, I'm not in the business thus I won't know for certain.

#7 ·
Peter305 said:
So ESPN are holding DirecTV hostage?

Not good news folks. Don't expect this app for DirecTV users any time soon.
ESPN holds all providers hostage when it offers a new channel/product. ESPN forced Time Warner Cable to take ESPN3, as it did with many other cable companies whose contracts were up for renewal. Expect DirecTV to get the Longhorn Network and WatchESPN when a new deal is signed.

#8 ·
ChicagoBlue said:

Simply put, it's not happening any time soon.
I honestly can not wrap my head around ESPN forcing people to take such a garbage channel or else with WatchESPN

WOW

Do they understand how little to no interest that LHN carries nationally? Most Texas grads I know have little to no interest in it outside 1-2 games it may carry...oh, garbage games at that

Not one person here wants WatchESPN more than me but I honestly hope DirecTV does not let in. Ridiculous

#11 ·
"DawgLink" said:
I honestly can not wrap my head around ESPN forcing people to take such a garbage channel or else with WatchESPN

WOW

Do they understand how little to no interest that LHN carries nationally? Most Texas grads I know have little to no interest in it outside 1-2 games it may carry...oh, garbage games at that

Not one person here wants WatchESPN more than me but I honestly hope DirecTV does not let in. Ridiculous
They do it because they are ESPN, no one will challenge them for fear of losing subs which may or may not happen en masse, and it all goes on behind the scenes. It's possible if this type of thing played out publicly and explicitly, people would tell ESPN to shove it.

#14 ·
cptaylor said:
I'd like to have this app as well but it's not that big of a deal since I have a slingbox. But I don't want D to cave and charge me for the crappy LHN.
So, did Comcrap sign a new carriage agreement and agree to broadcast the Longhorn Network in order to carry the WatchESPN App?

I guess that's the big question that goes through my head and would tell a lot about whether or not D* would have to make that same concession to get access to the app.

#15 ·
George_T said:
So, did Comcrap sign a new carriage agreement and agree to broadcast the Longhorn Network in order to carry the WatchESPN App?

I guess that's the big question that goes through my head and would tell a lot about whether or not D* would have to make that same concession to get access to the app.
Not that I heard, but the last agreement Comcast and ESPN had involved putting EPSN3 games on linear channels on Comcast systems, so it may have come from that.

#17 ·
George_T said:

Comcast is not carrying The Longhorn Network.

#19 ·
ESPN once again confirmed earlier this week that it isn't looking to sell this as an add-on to an existing carriage agreement, instead we have to wait until the current deal is over/renewed.

"Asked if ESPN, which has been including the service as a key facet of comprehensive distribution deals it has consummated over the past two years, was now pitching Watch ESPN separately, Bratches said no."

"In an interview after the presentation, Bratches said ESPN's goal is to "double the distribution of our affiliate base that has Watch ESPN in the next year.""

http://www.multichannel.com/article...ach_80_Million_Subscribers_over_Next_Year.php

#20 ·
"Redbullsnation" said:
hmm...WatchESPN?? Why you need it?? Theres a constant spin when you watch the crappy programs they provide outside of live events and 30/30, jailbreak your iOS, install XBMC, watch ESPN3 from there...
Not everyone wants to break their support contract with Apple.

#21 ·
I'd love to have Watch ESPN for MLL games this season, but what really ticks me off is that I have ESPN360 (or whatever they are calling it this week) because I have Charter for my ISP, so why do they package what is essentially just the mobile version of the exact same thing in a way that I don't have access? I don't mind some warranted greed, but ESPN makes providers look bad with their greed!

#23 ·
"Redbullsnation" said:
well, the app IS NOT the only way to watch ESPN, if you have a sling or a sling-esque device, you can watch it like that...
No. It is not but a sling box doesn't give you the many espn3 games. The watch espn app is pretty good. I have it and use it.

#24 ·
Garyunc said:
Make friends with a Time Warner or Comcast or Verizon subscriber. I am sure glad that I did :)
yep me too...i have D, but my best friend still has time warner, so i just use his login...he never uses it anyway as he doesnt have a smartphone and wouldnt use it anyway. its still BS that i have time warner for internet, but those greedy SOBs will only let you use watch ESPN app if you have TV service which is ridiculous since its an internet application. i even pay for their turbo service which is like 60 bucks a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.