1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Watch ESPN on iPad

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HDTVFreak07, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1 of 22
    HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    Well, that just isn't FAIR!!!!! I'm with DirecTV only for my television service provider but have internet with Time Warner Cable. I also pay for digital phone with Time Warner Cable. Now, why can't DirecTV customers be able to have "Watch ESPN" app for the iPad? I called Time Warner and they said that I MUST have TV service with them in order to be able to sign in to ESPN. That's BULL!! I'm paying internet service and two digital phones here at home and internet service at the cottage! Why can't DirecTV provide this service?

2. Dec 9, 2012 #2 of 22
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    That is totally aggravating, I assume ESPN wants more my and D* won't pony up. We have AT&T DSL and we can watch ESPN3 on line, but not on a mobil device unless you sign in through your provider and D* locks us out.

3. Dec 9, 2012 #3 of 22
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Since a recent "update" on XBOX, ESPN is not blacked out there because I use D*.

I ended up cancelling XBOX Live because of this (it was virtually the only thing I used on that service)

4. Dec 9, 2012 #4 of 22
    yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    Time Warner wants your TV money so they won't give their competitor free access. I don't believe DirecTV is at fault.

5. Dec 9, 2012 #5 of 22
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Directv is a TV provider, not an internet provider. Watch ESPN requires an internet connection and has nothing to do with your tv provider. Your INTERNET provider must give you access to Watch ESPN.

This isn't even in Directv's entertainment category.

6. Dec 9, 2012 #6 of 22
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Disney is tying their Watch apps to neogtiations for the channels and not doing it seperately, so if DirecTV were to get it, it won't happen until DirecTV's contract with ESPN is up for renewal.

7. Dec 9, 2012 #7 of 22
    mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    ESPN3 requires that your ISP have a deal with ESPN to offer it. Watch ESPN is the tv everywhere component of the linear tv feeds and as such requires that you have a tv subscription.

The only caveat is that even if you do have access to ESPN3 through your ISP, the mobile version is only accessible if you also have Watch ESPN access. That means computers would be fine, but phones and iPads can't use it.

8. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Are you paying them for ESPN? No. The question you should be asking is why are we paying DirecTV and not getting this feature? Once ESPN is paid why does it matter how we watch their content? Should be a DirecTV login.

9. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I could not disagree more. How is this any different then the HBO GO or anything like that? I pay DirecTV to watch ESPN not my cable company. I would not be willing to pay ESPN twice either as they are already paid good enough.

10. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The answer to that question is two posts up:

11. Stewpidity

Stewpidity Godfather

Jan 25, 2008

Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription from Bright House Networks, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon FiOS TV.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about

12. joshjr

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I still think it is BS that we dont have it. ESPN should not get anymore money for it. We already pay enough for their stations as it is. That being said, I assume it will happen during the next negotiations. I have called on it before though. Not sure why ESPN or DirecTV would either one care how I watch them once they are both paid.

13. KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan AllStar

Oct 16, 2009
    Not sure if this is completely true, but what I have heard is ESPN is adding TV providers to the Watch ESPN list when they renew their contracts. Cox Communications was just added today.

So when DTV renews their contract with ESPN, I'm guessing then DTV customers will have access to Watch ESPN.

14. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    yes i saw that ESPN just signed the agreement with COX. :(
    any info on when D* will add WATCH ESPN

15. KyL416

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    It's out of DirecTV's control if Disney won't negotiate their Watch products outside of the renewal period. I don't know the specific year their previous contract was renewed, but if its previous incarnation ESPN360 existed at that point, it was just a bonus service only available at the ISP level and didn't include live simulcasts of their linear networks, so it wasn't even offered to televison only providers like DirecTV.
    WatchESPN is more than just simulcasts of their main channels, there's a lot of exclusive live events that don't air on TV, some live events that are otherwise only available on a local broadcast or closed circuit campus TV, as well as nearly every game that's available on ESPN Game Plan and ESPN Full Court.

16. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    ESPN360 didn't exist during the last contract, neither did Longhorn.

17. LoweBoy

LoweBoy Legend

Sep 15, 2006
    When will the current Disney/ESPN contract expire?

18. Beachcomber12

Beachcomber12 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2012
    If you have time Warner Internet then you should be able to receive Watchespn I have cox as my Internet and phone provider not tv and I as of yesterday started receiving Watchespn on my ipad

19. stoutman

stoutman Godfather

Feb 8, 2003
    One report back had 2014 on this site. They are always talking and both companies have compelling reasons to find a solution. Having said that one must realize that Longhorn Network could retard progress, while pattern bargaining could accelerate an agreement. In the meantime enjoy the networks we have online that others do not. ESPN will come and if it is a must have now, then get a Slingbox.

20. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Have this through Fios and it's a really well put together application but really nothing to lose sleep over. Wish there was a PS3 ESPN app personally but like the new contract with D* it is not something that seems to be arriving soon. Hard to tell people that it's not worth losing sleep over if a person really desires the option though. Sorry if that is you.