1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Watch recorded programs on Android phone?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RVD26, Sep 28, 2013.

1. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I have the DirecTV app for my Android Phone and my Genie receiver is connected to my home network.
    Is there any way to play the recorded programs from the DVR on my phone?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    1 person likes this.
  3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, with a GenieGo unit and the Andriod app for it.

4. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    First sentence in the description:

GenieGO™ works with your Genie or HD DVR

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Note that as of today, DirecTV does not support OOH for Android, just "in-home"

6. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    Thanks.
    Looks like they're charging $99 for this service though.
    Any way DirecTV will waive the fee?

EDIT: Just called DirecTV and they were able to waive the fee (I just had to pay for shipping and handling).
    The GenieGo unit should get here on Wednesday.
    Thanks guys.

7. Oct 1, 2013 #7 of 23
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Maybe it is just the $99 price that requires a Genie.

GenieGo.png

8. Oct 1, 2013 #8 of 23
    mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    But...unless one goes to Sling, we're not going to get prerecorded material outside the home from DirecTV, right?

9. Oct 1, 2013 #9 of 23
    RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    There's no monthly fee with this thing, right?
    I forgot to ask while I was on the phone.

10. mikeissurreal

mikeissurreal New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Montana
    Rvd no add'l fees and as far as I understand, you own that piece of equipment

11. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    Nope. No monthly fee. Also, if it helps clarify how D* looks at them. I don't have a genie. My friend gave me his GenieGo. I plugged it in and it didn't work. I called D* and after being transferred to several CSRs, I got one who understood that I just needed GenieGo to be authorized on my acct. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom, Bon Jovi. And I now have a working GenieGo that I didn't pay a cent for.

#)

12. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Thanks.
    Looks like they're charging $99 for this service though.
    Any way DirecTV will waive the fee?

EDIT: Just called DirecTV and they were able to waive the fee (I just had to pay for shipping and handling).
    The GenieGo unit should get here on Wednesday.
    Thanks guys.

How did you get them to waive the fee? I think I'm going to give it a shot later. I'd prefer to start with what's known to work.

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    at least not with Android, yet

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Got mine free through Retention. In fact, that's the only dept. I can get anything free short of an official promotion.

Non-stop sub. since '95, kill'em with kindness approach, and friendly chit-chat throughout the call, is a big part of it too of course.

15. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Yea, I was thinking regular old PCs when I posted. thanks!

16. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Got mine free through Retention. In fact, that's the only dept. I can get anything free short of an official promotion.

Non-stop sub. since '95, kill'em with kindness approach, and friendly chit-chat throughout the call, is a big part of it too of course.

No go for me. They said the best they could do was give it to me for $70.

Screw that. I'll just buy a slingbox. That way I don't have to worry about it not working with my new provider if I ever leave directv.

17. RVD26

RVD26 Godfather

Oct 12, 2007
    Houston
    I simply asked them to. I've been with DirecTV since 2007, but I don't think I'm currently under contract.

Anyway, I received the GenieGo today and I'd love to report on how great it is.
    However, I can't get the thing to work on my phone.
    I downloaded the app on my phone, but it just stays stuck on the screen that says "Activating your GenieGo".
    It's working on my PC, but honestly the video quality looks really crappy.
    Any help on how to get this thing working on my phone?

18. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    At the risk of getting torched, do people really watch TV on their phone at home where all the TV's are? Or is this a case of wanting the technology just because it is there. I'm just curious as I can't think of a possible reason why I would want to watch a TV program on my phone at home, so I'm sure I am missing something.

19. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Gordon,

I'm with you. I tried to watch on my phone once in the airport, waiting for a flight. It was so ridiculous on that screen that I stopped. I won't even watch on my laptop mini. Just on my 17 inch laptop.

20. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Yes. I use my slingbox all the time. The problem is mine is the first slingbox model made back in the day. When I bring up the app on my phone I get a message saying my model isn't officially supported by the app and it may not work correctly. It also has a link to buy a newer unit, of course.

Then after it connects, my genie displays a huge message in front of the video display saying the device is sd and I need to hold the exit key on the remote to put the receiver in sd mode. Of course, I don't want to do that because the genie is also connected via hdmi to a high def 3D tv.

The message will go away after a minute or so and I can then watch live tv on my phone. If I try to access the menu, to watch a recording, I just get that message and never get access to the menu. So I'm limited to live tv until I upgrade my slingbox.

I use it all the time when I'm at work and there's a good game on. I also use it at home when I'm in the bathroom, lol. Sometimes I use it at home when I'm in the kitchen too. It's really useful. More useful when I'm not home, but still useful at home.

It would be a lot better if the hardware was all compatible and worked without the glitches and limitations of the older slingbox. It'll be much better when I get my new slingbox.

They're like $300 so it would have been cool if directv would have given me the geniego for free. I know the $70 they quoted me on the price is cheaper than the $300 for a new slingbox 500 unit, but the slingbox isn't limited to directv either so I could take it with me to cable or whatever in the future. And it has a lot more features too, like working over the net.