1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Watch Recorded Shows On iPad App?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Trainerman, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Is it possible to watch what you have recorded on your DVR on the iPad with the DTV app?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    sure, but you need the GENIEGO device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Which iPad/iOS do you have?

4. Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    iPad Air...latest 7.1.

5. Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Is GenieGo a one time $99 fee and no monthly fees or ?

6. gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    GenieGo is a one-time fee.

7. Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Thank you for the help!

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I think it is currently $99, and there are no monthly fees. You have to call to order. Make sure you understand what the device and apps do and don't do. There are some limitations and at times, I've found it a to be a real pain.

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome tablet! Although I can't upgrade to 7.1 :(

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Agree. In particular, out of home service can be dodgy, and you need a decent upload speed from the home front at a minimum.

11. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    From the opinions and reviews I'm seeing online, I'm not too sure on the GG, maybe the Slingbox would suit you better, Plus the GG is limited to in home network, OOH works too but not everybody is tech savvy to understand how to make it work, Also read that the PQ is not too great either, but that's a personal preference. Either Slingbox or Vulkano each have their plus and minus

But on the flip side to that, if you know for sure that you won't have internet connection either wifi or 3G/4G, and just want to watch recordings than the GG is for you, Just trancode and download to your device, and watch what you recorded offline.

12. Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Thanks guys! I was looking at Slingbox too. Never heard of Vulkano, will have to do my research.

13. OlderNDirt

OlderNDirt Mentor

Mar 16, 2007
    Or give D* a call and politely "inquire" about the geniego and the price offered ($0.00) may make it an easy choice. I and another person got the "good deal" and they use theirs daily (I use mine rarely) and it works virtually flawlessly. I would only suggest taking a minute before leaving home to check the OOH connection if it is really important. Just my $0.02 worth.

14. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    The GenieGO works great. I have used it several times from a hotel.

Also you do not use the DirecTV app, GenieGO has it's own app.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

15. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Actually, if you're using an iPad, you can use either the DIRECTV app or the GenieGo iPhone app in 2x mode.

If you enable GenieGo functionality within the iPad app it will use an additional GenieGo license, even if the iPhone app is already installed on the iPad. You are allowed a total of 5 simultaneous licenses.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/209597-directv-app-for-ipad-finally-integrates-geniego-and-adds-social-features/

16. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather DBSTalk Club

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use mine more than I ever thought I would ( mostly in hotels). I use the Directv app for iPad because it think it provides more functions and negates the requirement for more than 1 app. I did get my GenieGo for free, but I was eligible for an upgrade under the protection plan and had nothing to upgrade to ( genie and 2 HD DVRs for 2 people)

17. Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    But there is a dedicated iPad Geniego app and not a blown up iPhone app, correct?

18. Trainerman

Trainerman Cool Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Trying to wrap my head around this. If I'm at home on WiFi I can stream any channel I subscribe to to my iPad, correct? No channels are blocked as long as I'm subscribed to them? And it'll stream recordings on my WiFi without having to download/decode them?

Also, does the TV have to be on the channel that's being streamed like a Slingbox or can one channel be watched on the TV while a separate channel be streamed?

19. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The GenieGo does not stream live TV, only recordings (you can stream while recording, so almost live streaming is possible). If you intend on streaming, a dedicated streaming device like a Slingbox is a beter choice (it simply sends whatever comes out of the receiver to the remote screen). What the GenieGo does that the Slingbox does not, is to transcode your recordings to a smaller file size that is practical to download to your iPad. That will give you the ability to watch your recordings even when you have no WiFi (like on an airplane).

20. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather DBSTalk Club

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The GenieGo function is part of the Directv iPad app. It's not a separate app