1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

WatchESPN

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by heisman, Oct 15, 2012.

1. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Does anyone know when Directv is getting the WatchESPN app?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In the words of many others around here... "Maybe soon"...

I wouldn't expect anything until DirecTV needs to work out a new deal with ESPN again unless ESPN decides to be nice and add that to their current contract.

- Merg

3. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Any idea when the current ABC/ESPN contract is up for renewal? Maybe at the end of the year?

Kevin

4. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    Are the only people who get the watchESPN app the same as those who get ESPN3 (people whose ISPs pay ESPN for it)?

5. mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    No. It's only included in new carriage deals for those who get the linear tv networks.

ESPN will not sell it outside of an entire renewal.

From another thread:

UVerse and Cablevision just re-upped within the past couple of months.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    And Cablevision specifically mentions that WatchESPN will be included, although it is not active yet.

- Merg

7. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I have a Comcast cable modem. I wonder if means I qualify? :)

8. mattgwyther

mattgwyther New Member

May 22, 2007
    For ESPN3 inside the house, Comcast Internet will work. WatchESPN is a separate mobile app, although starting to be branded the same. To use WatchESPN you need a cable TV subscription from one of the supported providers...

I'm in the same boat as you