1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching DVR content or live TV on laptop?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dpusa, Jan 31, 2013.

1. dpusa

dpusa Cool Member

Oct 8, 2010
    All

As some of you know I am an ex DirecTV customer looking to come back once we move. I want to reduce (where possible) the number of receivers and as such have two questions which I couldnt accurately find through search.

1. Can the content of the DVR be watching on a PC or an ipad within my home?
    2. Can I watch my Directv channels live on my PC or ipad within my home?

Thanks so much

2. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    There was a program that let you play DVR content on your PC, it required above average CPU/GPU/Memory... So it never worked we'll for me. (Despite having an ATI graphics that are capable of playing BluRay)

I thought I heard that was no longer supported, as now there is DirecTv Everywhere...which means some live channels are available when you are on your home's wifi, and a couple of channels are available elsewhere in the US. You can use DirecTv Everywhere on a laptop, iPad, iPhone, but not a Droid tablet.

There is also an available Nomad box that lets you download DVR content to your PC or iPad.

Neither solution would be as good as a Slingbox, but may work for you.

3. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    1. I believe the latest Nomad software update will allow you to live stream recorded content from your DVR to your device. That might be a good solution for you...

2. Yes you can stream some channels in-home, currently at about 60 or so.

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
  5. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    hmmmm. i've got a droid, and the directv everywhere app, and it works just as well as the app for the ipad.

6. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    Droid phone or tablet? I only see a mention of a Droid phone app.

7. dpusa

dpusa Cool Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks all...

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    For the channels that stream onto an iDevice or a Droid phone via the DirecTV app, the PQ is better than the Slingbox. And it does not tie up a DVR/receiver to use it. It also has on demand programming for many channels available as well.

Where the Slingbox wins is for those channels not on the app, for prerecorded programs and for when you are not in your local network.

Depends on what your viewing habits are and how many people in your household will be watching at the same time.

9. Feb 1, 2013 #9 of 11
    Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    i use a droid phone. i dont see why one could couldnt download the app from google play and try it on a tablet. google play will tell you if it is compatible or not. be interesting to know...

10. Singe0255

Singe0255 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) and am running the android phone app. It works fine for both On Demand programming and the available Live TV channels.

11. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    i remember directv announcing a while back that the android app was out. good to know!