1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Watching DVR-recorded programs on iPad, confused :(

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by homebase, Jun 13, 2012.

1. homebase

homebase Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    We're just getting into the stream-to-my-devices part of things. Hooked up our HR24-100 and HR20-100 via regular ol' ethernet cables to the wireless router.

The iPad sees both units and all seems well. I see where it allows to stream allowed content and live TV.

Except for one thing, how to watch recordings on the DVRs to the iPad. The iPad software allows for choosing a previously recorded program then watch it on TV. Great. But I don't want to watch it on TV, want to watch it on the iPad. In our own house.

Is this a software limitation? Restriction? Is this even possible? Does D* make you use the Nomad just to stream your own recordings in your home? I don't want to take recordings with me, just watch them on the iPad.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You need DirecTV's Nomad to transfer your DVR recordings to your iPad. There's currently no way to "stream" DVR recordings to your iPad, only a networked PC (using the DirecTV2PC software).

3. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    You could purchase a 3rd party streaming device such as slingbox. It is designed for remote viewing but works great for streaming to ipad on the local network.

4. homebase

homebase Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    OK, thank you for the replies. "Thwarted at the moat" if only using the HDDVR...

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Slingbox works great with an iPad. Works quite well on 3G also.

6. no1hedberg

no1hedberg Cool Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Check out the directv everywhere app for iPad. If I understand you correctly I think it does what you want to do.

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    The OP has the iPad app but wants to view recordings on the iPad. Only the nomad or sling box like device allows this at the moment.

The iPad app does offer live tv streaming in the home and certain channels/shows are available outside the home as well.

I think that, one day, we'll see streaming in the home to mobile devices via the nomad device. I might be waiting a really long time though...

8. PurdueGradMem

PurdueGradMem AllStar

Sep 9, 2006
    I am with Homebase. I can understand not being able to stream content to an IPAD and take it outside your house. However, not being able to stream DVRd content to an IPAD seems like a large oversite on DTVs part. Still love my whole-home setup, but this would ice the cake.