1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

watching live tv while recording a show

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by super17, Mar 18, 2009.

1. super17

super17 Cool Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I recently had an HD DVR installed in my front room, I am having a problem with watching live tv while trying to record shows. When the time comes to record that show it automatically tunes to it and I can't change the channel and watch something else w/o getting the message that I have to pick a tuner to change to or I have to stop recording, but I don't show two tuners to choose from. I asked the installer if he needed to add another line to the receiver and he said no, it will work since I have an SD DVR set up in the bedroom. So I guess my question is: What do I need to do to watch live tv while recording something else? and yes I am just recording one thing at a time.

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    need more info on setup, including dish type, swm or not, and the dvr model #'s please.

3. gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    You will need both Tuners. 1 to watch Live & 1 to record. A Traditional install requires 2 lines (one for each tuner) for EACH DVR SD or HD. However D* has started installing the new Slimline dishes that are SWM (single wire). Check with D* on this.

4. super17

super17 Cool Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I have the HR21-700 HD DVR and the slimline dish

5. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Do you have two connections from the dish to the DVR?

The information screen will tell you if both tuners are enabled.

Re-run satellite setup.

6. LORETTA

LORETTA Cool Member

Sep 16, 2007
    With only one line connected, you cannot watch one program while recording another, the installer sounds like he may have been too lazy to run the second line for you.

7. super17

super17 Cool Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I asked the installer if two lines were needed just like my other dvr set up in the bedroom and he told me this receiver he brought me had the 2 tuners built into it and it would not need another line for it to work. I guess I should have been more specific in my question. He also told me it would take up to 48hrs for every thing to download from the satellite.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That DVR is capable of working with a single coax line IF an SWM LNB was installed in the dish. If a regular, non-SWM LNB was used, then it requires two coax.

It is true it has two tuners built in, and it is true it could take up to 48 hours for the guide to download. But it is not true that a single coax will give two tuner operation in every situation.

9. miketorse

miketorse Icon

Jul 29, 2008
    What a fool of an installer. Obviously with your setup in your upstairs bedroom, that we know that you don't have a SWM install. Call D* and tell them to come back out and finish the installation correctly. That installer deserves a backcharge.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It would appear that your installer didn't do it quite right. :rolleyes:

Could you list all the receivers you are currently using?

Mike

11. super17

super17 Cool Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I have the new HD-DVR, the older SD-DVR in my bedroom, and an old samsung (from 2004) receiver in another bedroom I hardly use. I still have the HD receiver that the installer did not take with him, I called D* and I have some one coming out to finish the install at no charge. I will make sure they do everything I am supposed to have. Also, are they supposed to take with them the HD receiver? Am I supposed to deactivate or something so I am not charged for it? Just reading some other threads in here makes me wonder about all this. AS you can see I am new too.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    They will need to add a multiswitch since it seems you have more than 4 tuners.

13. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    It can take a while for the guide to fully populate. I think that’s what the installer was talking about.

What HD receiver did the installer not take with him?

If you have an HD receiver that you are not going to use then you should call DirecTV and get it deactivated and they will send you a recovery kit. It’s just a box with a shipping label to return the receiver in. Otherwise they may charge you for an unreturned receiver.

What exactly did the installer tell you about why he only connected one cable?

This is a really weird situation. When the installer gets there make sure you tell him what you are expecting.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems you want your Samsung DVR and the new HD DVR+ to both operate which means the installer has to run two cables to each receiver. Make sure this is what you get before he/she leaves.

Mike

14. super17

super17 Cool Member

Mar 5, 2009
    thanks Mike I will make sure, I guess I need to deactivate the HD receiver I am not using now.

15. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    If you think you might use the receiver sometime down the road, you don't have to deactivate it.

As long as you are willing to pay the monthly receiver fee ($5.00/mo) you can keep it around and hook it up later.

If you deactivate it that's when the clock on retruning it starts. :grin:

It's up to you. ;)

Mike