1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching Programming via the Internet ...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Doug Brott, Mar 31, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The HD DVRs are great, but sometimes you have to get your programming from the Internet for whatever reason. I know I've watched a few shows on the Internet simply because I missed an opportunity to start a new show and I just wanted to get caught up to where I started recording it.

What are some of the reasons you guys go to the Internet for programming?

2. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Lots of fun stuff on You Tube. I also use Hulu if I forget to DVR something.

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I try not to usually. Sometimes if there is nothing on and the DVR is empty I will hunt for something online to watch.

I just got a decent speed of internet so I may watch more often.

4. davemayo

davemayo Hall Of Fame

Nov 17, 2005
    Usually because we miss recording a show or don't have enough free tuners to record.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've watched exactly one show in my life on the internet - The MSU basketball game last weekend.

I've probably seen less than a dozen You Tube videos.

6. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I download torrents on some tv shows where we don't have the HD version. I'll download Mad Men & Breaking Bad, then stream them through the HR20...It's not beautiful HD, but it's nice 16:9.

I'll also use the net to watch old shows. Currently, I've been watching The Shield.

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Only as a last resort if I missed a show that doesn't repeat during the week. It's not what I'd call a preferred viewing medium.

8. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    To watch the March Madness so I didn't have to pay D*.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I'm talking about produced stuff .. Like shows on hulu, but not really most stuff on YouTube.

10. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Old shows like "Have Gun Will Travel" but they need to put on more seasons.
    Other than older shows, use it to catch shows that I forgot to record

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Usually only if we miss something. Everything else we watch comes from a satellite or two. :D

Mike

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    +1, I watch The Vampire Diaries, Smallville, and Supernatural this way because I have zero access to an HD version of the CW where I live...

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I used to watch some shows that I could find online that weren't available on TV or DVD. Now I have HughesNet service at home so no internet streaming videos for me :(

14. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Like most others, I watch shows that I forgot to record or while I work a night shift I may watch something I have recorded so I don't have to watch it at home! But I would rather watch in HD on my big screens personally but like I said, if I am at work on a night shift :D :)

15. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Main reasons for me:
    -Shows that did not get recorded (forgot, conflict, etc.)
    -Catch up on old episodes of a show I discovered (though hard to do since many sites only keep the last few)
    -Find new shows to watch when I have nothing recorded on the DVRs to watch
    -When I am away from home and do not have access to my DVRs

Often I would rather watch a show online than live as online the commercials are much shorter.

16. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I go to the 'net for TV programming rarely, but when I do it's usually Hulu or similar sites to catch up on stuff I missed out on when it was running originally, or for stuff I can catch online while I'm away from home.

17. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Hulu for missed network episodes and Netflix once in a while via Play On, not too bad quality.

18. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    some netflix, sd stuff and comedies, but my dsl does not handle any hd well.

19. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I would go to the internet more if there was a familiar interface that was easy to use, and had the programming I was used to using at home.

20. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Used NetFlix online to view some early episodes of TV series that we didn't start watching from their beginning. Doing it via online prevented me from tying up a DVD out, have only 1 out at a time plan.

Have also used Hulu and CBS to view some old series that I haven't seen for ages.

I've used PlayOn so I could access via the DirecTV boxes, but wish the access was intergrated into the software or worked better with PlayOn.