1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Watching recorded shows without active sat signal

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jgmiller31, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1 of 26
    jgmiller31

jgmiller31 Mentor

Jun 14, 2009
    So here's deal, we're getting a new roof so that means our dish has to come down for about 4-5 days. Since it's the middle of summer it's not a huge issue plus it's the All Star break so I won't miss any MLB. I currently have a lot of shows recorded on our various DVR's, will I be able to watch those recorded shows without an active sat signal?

Thanks

John

2. Jul 8, 2012 #2 of 26
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I believe you can, as long as you dont reboot the DVR or lose power. I havent tried it with the current software though. You might just try disconnecting the satellite cable from the back and see what happens before you actually lose the dish.

You could also just set the dish up temporarily on a tripod/pipe in the yard, if you have line of site.

3. Jul 8, 2012 #3 of 26
    Martinrrrr

Martinrrrr AllStar

Apr 4, 2007
    You should be able to w/o any problems. I've watched recorded shows during heavy rain periods when the signal is out. Your are running off of the hard drive.

4. Jul 8, 2012 #4 of 26
    Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    I thought DIRECTV required a live sat signal within about 48 hours and if not detected, would prevent playback?

I think the idea to set up a temporary location is the best idea if you can swing it though...

5. Jul 8, 2012 #5 of 26
    carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You do need a periodic valid sat signal to retain authorization, but people have reported going anywhere from a day or two up to a month or two without a sat signal and still being able to view recordings. I would expect for the 4 to 5 day period you should be okay. However, you will probably need to have the dish realigned once it is put back up. Don't count on the roofing crew to put the dish back up properly.

6. Jul 8, 2012 #6 of 26
    jgmiller31

jgmiller31 Mentor

Jun 14, 2009
    Thanks, yeah the roofing crew already said they wouldn't put it back which is fine with me. I just need to figure out the timing to call DTV to have them send someone out for a reinstall.

7. Jul 9, 2012 #7 of 26
    balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    I haven't had a sat signal for over 4 months (major house renovation) and can still watch my recordings. You'll have no problems.

8. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Legend

Sep 5, 2011
    It seems like several people have had different outcomes with this. For me, I was able to watch channels except for the local ones that I recorded via AM-21. Those would give me a "not authorized" message.

9. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    My understanding is that if you lose power to the DVR, it will not go past the satellite error message if it can't find a signal. Heed the warning up thread to keep the DVR on UPS if you are disconnecting the satellite!

10. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    You're right, it doesn't go past the error message. But then you press the List button. VoilĂ , your recordings are ready for viewing.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    Very cool. Information the OP may need to know!

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I remember in "the good old days" you could watch recordings for months and months without a satellite signal but the current software doesn't allow that anymore. The big question is HOW LONG you can actually view recordings.

I think it varies depending on the model of the receiver. And I also think it makes a big difference if the receiver is powered down AFTER it loses the satellite signal. It may just think there is a temporary outage if it's not powered down, but if it IS powered down, it KNOWS there is no satellite signal for a different reason.

Maybe having an internet connection (but no satellite signal) makes a difference too, since the receiver can then verify that it is on an active account and what channels it should be authorized for.

13. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I just shut down one of my 24-500s and removed the sat coax. After it booted up and couldn't find the signals, I hit the List button and got nothing but a "bong".

Damn thing seemed like nothing would bring up the playlist and I was intending to bring it with me to the beach next week. Then, I thought about the Playlist on the Menu and that worked. Got on the Playlist and played a couple programs successfully. First time I've ever used the Playlist on the Menu.

Rich

14. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    I recently moved and was without a satellite signal for like 5 days. I had to reboot my dvr several times between moving it from the old apartment to the new one and trying to decide where to put my entertainment unit at and i was still able to watch all my recordings.

15. johnsonsm4

johnsonsm4 Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    I just moved to a new house that I am leasing that will not allow the satellite dish. I hooked everything up and started a playback using the menu button but then the receiver rebooted. It has done this more than once. Is there a way to stop that automatic rebooting process?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    perhaps connect LNBF ?

17. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    There is not. It used to reboot without a satellite signal every 12 hours or so but now it's every 10 minutes or less. This will be corrected in a future software update, but right now no, without hooking up a satellite signal it will keep rebooting.

18. FYRPLG

FYRPLG Legend

Nov 11, 2006
    Just tried it on a HR20-700 that has been deactivated for a couple of wks. Cant get past message "receiver id problem.call cust svc"
    Unit has been plugged into sat and power during this time.
    Called cust svc. Answer no you cannot watch recordings
    Was going watch previous recordings, but!!!

19. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yes, the receiver needs to be active on your account in order to watch those recordings.

20. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps this is "intentional"