1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Watching recordings with Genie and minis

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Cavicchi, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1 of 22
    Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Since the Genie (HR44) has one hdd and the minis (C41) do not have a hdd, can say I watch a recorded program on main Genie and my daughter watch a different recorded program on her mini (41) at the same time? So that would be two different recordings being watched at the same time with one on HR44 and other on Mini C41.

2. Dec 7, 2013 #2 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That's not a problem. Even remote watching from a DVR doesn't involve the drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Dec 7, 2013 #3 of 22
    Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    But aren't the recorded programs on the hard drive? I am talking about 2 different recordings, which I assume are on the hard drive (HR44), one being watched on HR44 and a different recording watched on the mini (C41) at the same time, and no problem?

4. Dec 7, 2013 #4 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They are on the hard drive of the machine that recorded them, but I'm saying even if you play it back from a different DVR, it's not copied to that drive.

You can actually play back different things on thee different clients at once while watching something local.

5. Dec 7, 2013 #5 of 22
    Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Well, there really is one DVR, the HR44. The minis, C41, do not have a hard drive. So all recordings, I believe, are on the HR44, which is the only one with a hard drive. So when I watch one recording on the HR44 and my daughter is watching a different recording on her mini client, C41, at the same time, both recordings are accessed from the HR44, correct? Now if that is the case, the HR44 hard drive is being accessed for two different recordings at the same time, and that amazes me.

6. Dec 7, 2013 #6 of 22
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    You are correct in your example and it is designed to stream 3 clients while maintaining current operations for itself. Disk techology, buffering, etc all make this transparent. Your home PC is designed for so many purposes and has so many other services and components in play whereas the DVR is a essentially a single purpose device.

Most disks today have multiple disk layers and read/write heads on a single spindle and fles are commonly written in a method called striping which deploys pieces of the file across all the heads and layers. It is no longer a single platter and head that has to traverse the single layer like a phonograph needle. Contigous file space is almost always a detriment in today's IO world but there is some optimization in keeping the blocks themselves (think pages) filled with respect to the operational requirements of the device/devices using them.

Don "it's all smoke and mirrors" Bolton

1 person likes this.
  7. Dec 7, 2013 #7 of 22
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, there really is one DVR, the HR44. The minis, C41, do not have a hard drive. So all recordings, I believe, are on the HR44, which is the only one with a hard drive. So when I watch one recording on the HR44 and my daughter is watching a different recording on her mini client, C41, at the same time, both recordings are accessed from the HR44, correct? Now if that is the case, the HR44 hard drive is being accessed for two different recordings at the same time, and that amazes me.

It really isn't much different from the fact that the genie can be used to record 5 things at the same time, while playing back something recorded. Of course in that situation,mthe client can't be used to watch live tv on another channel, but that's a tuner limitation.

8. Dec 7, 2013 #8 of 22
    Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I'm not sure I understand everything you said, but I think you answered my question :)

In other words, yes, my daughter and I can watch two different recordings at the same time. :righton:

9. Dec 7, 2013 #9 of 22
    lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    You bet even while it records even more!

Don "it slices, it dices, and it won't take over the house like the electric vibrating clocks" Bolton

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not only two different, but the same recording too.
    You or she can pause/start at different times/places and not affect the others playback.

Genies are a true "whole home" DVR.

11. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    You guys got me so excited about DTV that I rescheduled the install from 12/12 to 12/10. If it wasn't for the expected weather, I would have scheduled for tomorrow or Monday.

What can I say except this is amazing!

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    You can record five things off sat, download another via Internet on demand, and watch four other previously recorded things (one at the tv connected to the hr44 the other three at other remote tvs with clients) all at the same time. And its all happening not he exact same hard drive. Got to love technology. ;)

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Er, Inky, remember they're just two people at this point in time!

!rolling

14. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Gotta dream big!!

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I didn't hear him say he didn't have ten tvs in one room for football Sundays, so..... ;)

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    :rolling:

:bang

!rolling

17. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Nope, three, also have a wife. And, one dog and three cats, so maybe three and a half :)

18. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you might want you count the dog as well, don't forget about there is DogTV...

19. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    I'm afraid to ask, but here goes, what is DogTV? Is that a station devoted to dogs? I mean, a station they setup for dogs to watch, like showing cats and how to track them down? :)

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    'Zackly!

!rolling