1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Watching the first great scripted series about technology (The Good Wife)

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1 of 25
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    A few years ago we began to understnd that when a show we like is moved from another week day to Friday, it's as if a beloved friend or relative has been moved to a hospice.

Only recently did we begin to realize that when a show we like is moved from a non-Friday week day to Sunday, it's as if somebody sent our puppy out to play in heavy traffic. It is one of these shows that a New Yorker Magazine review calls "the first great series about technology."

Here's what the reviewer specifically noted:
    Of the four Sundays of the Nielson February 2012 Sweeps period, only one new episode of "The Good Wife" was aired in an attempt to keep it from getting killed in the heavy traffic of "The Super Bowl", "The Grammy's" and "The Academy Awards." And for the first half of the 2011-12 season, it was up against "Sunday Night Football" (one week also against "The World Series").

Like every series, not every episode is great. But many potential fans didn't watch the show from the beginning. As noted in the review:
    This fall CBS moved the show from Tuesday at 10:00, where it had been for two years, to Sunday at 9:00 where basically it is struggling for a demo audience though it has about 40% of the 50+ audience when it isn't being run over by a truck. I think that change prevented the show from gaining some ratings and lost CBS ratings on Tuesday at 10:00.

2. Mar 1, 2012 #2 of 25
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I watched the pilot episode, thought it sucked and cancelled the SL.

3. Mar 2, 2012 #3 of 25
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I am enjoying the show. It is very well written and like all new shows usually takes a few episodes to get its feet wet.

- Merg

4. Mar 2, 2012 #4 of 25
    SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    All this writing about this show but, no one wrote the name of the show .

5. Mar 2, 2012 #5 of 25
    gilviv

gilviv Godfather

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami, FL. USA
    I've been a fan of "The Good Wife" since the series began, great acting, excellent writing! Hope it will survive the Sunday time slot.

6. Mar 2, 2012 #6 of 25
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It is mentioned in the first quote that Phrelin posted and Phrelin mentions it as well below that quote.

- Merg

7. Mar 2, 2012 #7 of 25
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    +1. Wife and I both enjoy it.

8. Mar 2, 2012 #8 of 25
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    +1 Great show! Cast, writing, storyline all top drawer. Even gets a solid 8.1 on IMDB.

Julianna Margulies and Archie Panjabi are HOT! HOT! HOT! J

Josh Charles (Sports Night) delivers the goods again. My weekly anticipation level approaches that of "24".

Big fan!

9. Mar 2, 2012 #9 of 25
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    BTW, I found author Emily Nussbaum's New Yorker article to be convoluted and not illustrative of the tv series at all. As far as the "technology" aspect of the program, not so much IMO. Yes, it's quite often the subject of the court cases, but you seldom see a button, flashing LED or digital display. It's about people, intrigue and sex, not so much the tech stuff.

10. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Except everyone has been writing about it as if it's a new show. :scratchin

Did I simply imagine it was on the last 2-3 years?

11. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I love when Alicia clashes with Peter's mother!

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Sept. 2009.. was when the first ep aired.

13. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    I assume the reviewer meant that it's unprecedented for a show that's not considered "sci-fi," since I'm sure there are a number of sci-fi examples -- even only considering prime-time dramas that aired on broadcast networks, "Max Headroom" is what first comes to mind, and that was over 25 years ago.

14. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yep. The reviewer is saying that technology issues are emphasized in what basically would be considered a legal soap. And that not only has included complex courtroom arguments but also placing "computer" technology within the daily lives of the attorneys and staff and Alicia's kids in a way that really hasn't been done - it's there, integrated without "comment", people use it, Alicia's teen son cleans up his mom's computer glitches, the daughter is involved in the online world, etc., all not considered anything special, except maybe by grandma.

It really has made the show more interesting for my wife and I who were pretty much immersed in making personal computers a useful part of the real world beginning in the 1980, and who now watch our grandkids take computers, tablets and smart phones for granted as a routine part of their lives.

In other words, it isn't science fiction, just part of life, like a car or microwave oven. It isn't like the "CSI" kind of stuff, where they show all this cool equipment, most of which virtually no police agency in California has access to even though it probably exists. In "The Good Wife" it has become just a part of the courtroom activity, people arguing over some pretty interesting technology issues which are seemingly current.

And for the record the show is in its third season, but struggling for ratings because of CBS moving it to Sunday at 9:00.

15. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    The only name that I pick up on is a show called The Good Wife.

16. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And that is the subject: The Good Wife

17. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Must be an acquired taste. My Aunt and Uncle enjoy it. I tried a few episodes with them, but found myself drifting off. Could be a generation thing as well.

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    SeaBeagle.... I am in the same boat as you.

I read the OP 4 times, looking for the title...

Because frankly, from all the commercials that I have seen for the The Good Wife, I would NEVER have connected it to technology, which was in my head from the title of the subject.

As for the show, from when we watched the first 3 or 4 episodes... we nuked it as we just couldn't get into it and just didn't like any of the characters... and how the show was sold... it should have been a great match for our viewing likes.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The title of the show had me thinking of The Starter Wife ...
    I don't watch enough on CBS (other than Craig Furguson) to see promos for their shows.

20. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    The good wife to me seems like one of those regular TV shows. Nothing in the title about technology.

What is happening here is either one or more of the actors are plugging their show here or one or more of the directors knowing this is a technology forum is doing the same,