1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching two shows from same DVR on HR44?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jacobp, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jacobp

jacobp Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Hello all. I have a Whole home setup in my house with 3 HR20s and a couple of H24s. As you probably know, if i am watching a show from a H24 that was recorded on one of the HR20s, my wife cannot watch any shows from the other client that were also recorded on that same DVR. Is this behavior the same on the HR34 or HR44?

2. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The HR34/HR44 Genies can stream out to 3 other locations at one time. So both of you could watch recordings off of it in different rooms at the same time.

However, if you kept some of the HR20s it would not change the fact that you can only stream one show from them at the same time. Say you are at the TV with the HR34 and your wife is at a TV with an H24. You still can't both watch a recording from the same HR20.

All this said, you do realize you can watch a recording on the HR20 and another receiver at the same time. Would it be easier for you to just consider moving the HR20 to a different room if this happens that often? Or set up your series links differently so it doesn't happen? For example at my house we have 3 HR2x DVRs. One of them records all of my wife's shows and is hooked up to the TV she watches the most, another records all of my shows and is hooked up to the TV I watch the most, the third records shows we watch together and is hooked up in our bedroom. Having it set up this way we very rarely have any issues with not being able to access a show we want to watch in whatever room we want.

3. jacobp

jacobp Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Thank you very much for your informative post. Right now, i also try to divide my Series Recordings on the three different DVRs in order to minimize the situation I described in the post, but it doesn't always work out. The main reason i would want the HR34/44 is so i can put all or nearly all of my Series Recordings on one DVR and not worry about where it is located.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If it's just the two of you, the Genie would certainly serve your needs as you would typically not be trying to stream more than two items from the Genie and it can support three outgoing streams. You can use the Genie with your existing DVRs, so I would probably replace one of the H24s with the Genie, keeping all of the HRs (with their recordings and recording capability).