1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water Softener and Acid Neutralizer Systems

Discussion in 'The OT' started by The Merg, Feb 21, 2012.

1. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, it looks like I need to get a water treatment system in my house. My copper pipes are definitely getting corroded. So, with the new water treatment system I will also need a water softener as my water hardness right now is borderline and after installing the neutralizer, it will be considered very hard.

Does anyone else here have a water softener and acid neutralizer system? If so, are there any brands or models you would recommend to use or stay away from? I expect to be in my house for a long time, so I'm looking for a long-lasting system. I'll reserve some of my thoughts about what I've seen so far till I get some other opinions.

I am not looking at having a water filtration system installed. I just need the neutralizer and the softener.

-Merg

2. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I have had a Culligan water softener since 2003. It has seemed to do a good job. The water consistently tests as very soft. It uses salt, and I understand that in some places in California (and perhaps elsewhere) the salt units are banned because of pollution concerns (salt discharge damaging the environment). I am not an expert in the field.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'll be using a salt unit for the softener. The two companies in my area that I've been told to stay away from are Culligan and Rainsoft. Around here Culligan makes you use them to recharge the neutralizers each year, which runs about $200 in a tech fee. I can most likely handle that myself.

- Merg

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I have a Rainsoft Gold series softener. It's been terrific for the 7+ years we've had it. On the installers recommendation, we use Potassium Salt instead of Sodium Salt. Our water is great and has literally no hardness detectable. When they installed the unit, they also installed an outside spigot for car washing.

The Potassium salt is quite a bit more expensive than sodium chloride (NaCl). It does last over twice as long though. I refill my slat container twice/year and it costs about $70 each time. I wouldn't live without it!

5. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I use the traditional sodium chloride rock salt. What would be the advantage of potassium chloride? It lasts twice as long? If I switch to that, do I have to modify the softener in any way?

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    If you're on a sodium restricted diet, using potassium chloride won't put any more sodium into your water.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No modification is needed. Most water softeners can use either/or. And even though KCl lasts longer, it is still generally more expensive in the long run compared to NaCl.

But as mentioned, for those with sodium restrictive diets, KCl is a better option.

- Merg

8. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Exactly. Regardless of which salt is used, some is left over in the resin and filters during regeneration. Trace amounts of potassium is much better than sodium. My system can do either as I expect most can.

OK, I just repeated everything from the last 2 posts.:nono2: