1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watermelon Eating Contest Outrages Community

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Richard King, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Sillyness.

2. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    Reminds me of the movie "Hollywood Shuffle" (I believe). They had the ghetto olympics. It consisted of events such as the 100 yard dash- guys running with TV's on their shoulders being chased by Dobermans. The speed stripping of a car. And of course, all the contestants were black.

Great movie.

3. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    What's sad is these events and movies are a form of self deprecation and parodies of our own human weaknesses and circumstances. Privately I'd bet the vast majority of people find this type of humor riotously funny but publicly afraid to admit it because of the PC Gestapo. It becomes fodder and press time for the PC stuffed shirts.

4. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    OK, stop it Richard. This is getting scary!:eek:

It would be different if the perceived racism wasn't coming from someone of the same race.

The names of this talent show and contest were obviously intended as good natured with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Some people just can't take a joke though.

One of the things I appreciate about Hawaii is Hawaiian comedians. To a person, their stock in trade is ethnic humor and nobody is out of bounds. And everybody(well almost everybody) "gets it". Usually the most offended are tourists who don't know what to make of it until they realize all the locals are roaring and rolling in the aisles. Then they realize whites, blacks, Chinese, Filapinos, Japanese, Koreans, Portugese and even Hawaiians all have their own little peculiarities, and damn it if they all aren't pretty funny!:lol: Again, as long as it is good natured and no group is immune.

We need to ALL lighten up a little!

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I'll drink to that! :goodjob: I say let's all lighten up... :smoking:

:alterhase

6. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    jonstad......and Nick...............exactly dudes!!!!!!! ;)

7. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    Last year at our community street fair we had both a watermelon-eating contest for the public and a doughnut eating contest for anyone who was a police officer. :)

8. missileman

missileman Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 28, 2004
    EVERY YEAR, we have a tomato eating contest in my home town. The festival is called the Pink Tomato Festival.

9. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    On a related issue, I got a fax yesterday about a website where you could print out your own "Purple Heart Medal" and paste your face into a picture of a soldier. It has to do with a promotion of the film "Wedding Crashers". My fellow vets are mostly incensed by this and Congress is going nuts trying to pass a law against fake medals. I feel the gimic is in bad taste, especially while we have a war going on and our troops being maimed and killed. Somehow, I can't "lighten up" over his bit of "humor".

10. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I agree with RichW. Then again, what would you expect from Hollywood types, Rich? I heard this being discussed on the radio today (can't recall what program) and the person who brought it up suggested that whoever came up with the "bright" idea should be forced to go visit the hospital in Germany where REAL purple hearts are distributed.

11. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The movie was "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka." And, yes, it was a GREAT movie!

12. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003

So the black people should lighten up, but the veterans groups should not?
    I do agree, by the way, that pretending you have a Purple Heart is not funny---but it just goes to show, telling others what they should and should not be offended by is not as easy as some would like it to be.

13. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    pass the jug this way too..... you all called it right on this one.

14. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I don't know how to tell you this - but the election is over, Bush won, sorry....

I'm not really sure with what a public leader misrepresenting his qualifications and military record to try to get elected as president and commander and chief - but then eventually every thread becomes open territory for bush-bashers.

15. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    May I ask you: What in HELL are you talking about???

16. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What does billpa's post have to do with the election or hating Bush? We are talking about blacks being offended with terms such as "ghetto" and "watermelon" with compared with veterans being offended by people who can print up their own purple heart on line. Since I don't have a link to the site I may be missing something, but unless the site is a Bush/Kerry "who had a purple heart and who didn't" commentary, I have no idea where you are coming from. Unless you are so much a Bush apologist you see attacks by "Bush haters" where there aren't any. People can still make comments you don't agree with, without being a "Bush hater."

17. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    The website is a promotion for the movie The Wedding Crashers. I haven't seen the website, I saw a story on MSNBC or Fox News. It seems to me that the website is a tad more offensive than the comedy bit in the movie. Taken in context in the movie, it was funny. The characters came up with two Purple Hearts to gain sympathy from women so they could pick them up. It was one thing in a long list of pranks they pulled to help them get laid. IMO, in the movie it wasn't presented in a positive light, it was used to show how low they would go to pick up women.

I don't know if pjmrt pulled that comment out of the air or somewhere else. :rolleyes: Nobody mentioned Bush or any political figure up to that post. But since you brought it up. How is this movie site much different than Republicans wearing purple band aids to their convention to ridicule Kerry? Is it OK to denigrate the military service of someone you don't agree with politically?

What is acceptable to making fun of people has a lot to do with who is making the fun. A lot of the things Chris Rock says about Blacks wouldn't be seen as OK if they were coming out of Larry the Cable guy's mouth.

18. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    you mean like having two black guys dress-up like white girls and making fun of everything they can associate with "white people" is funny (when made into a movie) but when the shoe is on the other foot?!?!?

For the record, I like to laugh at everyone. I don't find it in anyway offensive if someone of another race makes fun of me. I love it when Eddie Murphy in Delirious talks about the Chinese people making fun of white people - probably true but soooooo funny.

19. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Here's one that'll jog memories..

Anyone think that Frito-Lay could get away with "The Frito Bandito" these days?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.