1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waving DVR Fee

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by xboxlive2020, Mar 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xboxlive2020

xboxlive2020 Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 31, 2007
    Hello everyone. I used to be in these forums but I forgot my password, so I got a new account. I am sorry if this question is posted elsewhere, but I looked and couldn't find anything.

If you look at my signature, you can see I am paying about $115 for Dish Network programming. Unfortunately, everyone in my family wants something specific so I was forced to order the super-expensive AT 250 package and some international as well. And then everyone also wants a DVR in their room so I have 3 DVR receivers.

I called Dish Network to ask them if they could reduce my $15 DVR fee by pointing that DirecTV only charges one fee. Unfortunately, I had zero success. I got the supervisor to a point to tell me that there was nothing I could do. I feel that for the amount I am paying Dish Network I deserve a bit of a discount because the TV bill is pretty expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any success in lowering the DVR fee?

Thank you.

Eventually, I got into the "why do loyal customers get screwed when all the new customers get all these great deals" argument. But that's a different topic. (Over the DishHD special offer).

2. Miner

Miner Legend

Oct 29, 2004
    Xbox,

If Directv has the international channels you like, switch to them. I don't think anybody has been able to get Dish to waive the fees. If you move up to the Americas Everything Plan, the fee is waived. I think it is around $25 a month over the AT250, so you'd end up paying more than you currently do. But you would be getting all the movie channels.

Perhaps someone else has a better suggestion.

Miner

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    If you can do to eliminate dvr fees, you can:
    1. Upgrade programing to All Everything Package. No DVR fee and more channels, but higher overall fee.
    2. If you have all single tuner receivers, you can replace with dual tuner receivers, you would eliminate one or two additional tuner fees as well as same amount of dvr fees.
    3. Replace receivers with 501 or 508 receivers, they do not have dvr fees, but the Hard Drives are smaller than current models.
    There may be others who have ideas.

4. Zero327

Zero327 Godfather

Oct 10, 2006
    1. Why would you think because DirecTV does something DISH would do it for you as well? You don't go to McDonalds and order a Whopper...

2. DISH doesn't waive DVR fees. Maybe for a month or two if there's a good reason, but for a lifetime, no. There are accounts that are exceptions, take Jim DeFranco's for instance and a handful of others. But yours, nah uh.

3. $115.00 a month bill is nothing special. You MIGHT have had a shot if you were paying a few thousand each year. Those accounts are considered relatively important, and are usually MDU's.

Moral: You judging your account and what you pay as important to the company's overall well-being, doesn't mean the company will see it that way.

5. thefunks67

thefunks67 Godfather

Feb 4, 2007
    You really think Jim pays a subscription fee for his E* service?

-Funk

6. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Here's the thing - you get charged because you want the DVR. You are clearly getting a benefit and short of BUYING a 501/508 or 721, there really isn't anything else to do except leave Dish for a competitor. I have the 508&721, don't pay the fee, but will pay it when I am forced off these boxes for the new MPEG standard.

7. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    !!!Thread Hijack Warning!!!

Who is Jim Defranco?

8. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Co-founder of EchoStar and currently Senior Executive Vice President.
    Basically, #2 at E* organization.

9. xboxlive2020

Mar 31, 2007
    Guys, I was just asking if there was any way I could save some money. Like any American, my goal is to save anywhere I can.

10. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Is the DVR fee still waived if you get the "Everything" pack? It looks like XBOX has nearly everything, just not THE everything pack.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    xbox doesn't have the premium movie channels that raise AT250 to AEP.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you get the "Everything" pack you could get all the Premiums for just a few dollars more than you pay now and that would waive the DVR fee... of course that package costs more, but the difference in cost wouldn't be much more than you pay now and you'd get a bunch more channels.

Another option... What about the DVR advantage plan? They have a plan (if you convert to credit card autopay) that is supposed to be a little cheaper for DVR customers. Might be worth looking into and see if that would save a little. I'm sorry I don't have more info about that but I only have one DVR fee on my account so the DVR advantage program is a virtual wash for me... but might help you with multiple fees.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    AEP is $37 more than AT250, xbox's DVR fees total $17.94 ($5.98 each times 3).
    It will cost xbox $19.06 more to upgrade to AEP.

The "DVR Advantage" program only includes one DVR. It will help a little, but not too much.

14. MadScientist

MadScientist Godfather

Nov 30, 2004
    I have the AEP with locals + HD Package total bill $122.76

15. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I think it was worth the time to ask Dish anyway.
    Comparing them to Direct TV really is almost apples to oranges. They may provide the same basic service, but their charges are configured in different ways. It's like saying why can't Cingular Wireless offer 7PM start time for night rates like XXX does. The answer is - Does XXX offer rollover of your unused minutes? No they don't - Cingular does -two different configurations of charges.
    If you changed to Direct I guess the question is what would you pay for the same programming including any of their fees. If Direct does not have some of what you want, that's your answer. And if you switched to Direct and lost some of the programming at a lower cost - what would the Dish price be if you dropped the same programming. (I'm mostly talking about the international programming)

16. heisman

heisman Icon

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks JL--

People are arguing whether or not he pays a dvr fee??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    On the lighter side...

I just noticed that the actual topic of this post is "Waving DVR Fee"...

I would like to see the DVR Fee wave at me :) as it was going away

18. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    Remember the "The other guys charge a fee for DVR service" slogan? Hmmmph.

19. xboxlive2020

Mar 31, 2007
    Well. I decided to just hook that receiver that they want us to hook to a phone line to save $5. But I hope I won't be tempted to order a PPV movie. Those can really add up. Plus, I have Netflix.

20. robert koerner

robert koerner Icon

Aug 20, 2005
    I'd like to get my DVR fee waved also.

Same for local channels.

And, channels I never watch.

AND, a rebate on the channels I'm supposed to get as part of top 100 that Dish never installed a dish to get when they installed my Dish system.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.