1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to get the D* receiver you want?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mezman, May 24, 2010.

1. mezman

mezman Cool Member

May 24, 2010
    Hi all,

I'm a new D* subscriber, been with Dish the past almost 4 years with the Vip622 HD-DVR. I'm taking installation on Friday of my new DirecTV system with MRV. I want a HR24 and H24 for my setup. My Dad has the HR22 and that thing is so slow that it's annoying to use when I'm at his house. At least in comparison to my 4 year old Dish DVR. So I dread the idea of ending up with an HR22 on a two year contract.

The way I understand it is that I'm going to get whatever the installer has in his truck at the time he shows up. But what I'm asking is, are there ways to improve my chances of getting an HR24 like calling the installers directly or answering the door wearing nothing but a bow? :eek2: :nono:

I'm in the Denver area if that helps. Maybe some markets are getting more HR24s than others?

Thanks!

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    A way to guarentee it, nope, but if you ordered Connected Home and MRV chances are good (don't forget to also ask for the broadband connection to your existing ethernet/internet connection). If the installer shows up and doesn't have what you want I'd just request that he find the 24's or you want to cancel the installation. Remember, once it's installed and you sign the paperwork you're on a 24 month commitment and you loose any leverage on getting exactly what you want.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The answer is to order from a local retailer instead of directly from DirecTV. A retailer has much more control and likely CAN promise you a specific model.

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just out of curiosity, why did you dump DISH and switch?

Was it just the "new customer discounts" since you seemed to be happy with your DISH DVR.... :confused:

5. rrbhokies

rrbhokies Legend

May 10, 2004
    I just ordered the Home Connection and MRV and being charged $500 for 2 HD DVRs, 1 HD Receiver and installation. I asked about the HR24 and they said I would get either an HR21 Pro, an HR23 or an HR24 for the 2 HD DVRs. They told me that all 3 DVRs are essentially the same. They ALL have 500GB hard drives and can record 100 hours of HD programming. They said it's just manufacturing. However, after reading this board, it sure seems that the HR24 is a much better receiver as it's faster for one thing. Plus, I'm not positive, but do they all really have the same hard drive size?

It's just that for $500 and a 24-Month commitment, I would expect that I should get the latest and greatest receiver especially since the Directv website only shows the HR24 as their HD receiver wherever I look on their website.

I was also told that if I cancel the installation, I still have to pay the installation fee if the guy shows up. So, I won't know what the installer will bring until he arrives and I'm more or less committed.

I live in the D.C. area and my install isn't until June 10th. What are my chances of getting HR24 receivers?????? Should I cancel now and wait until later in the summer to upgrade?

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Your chances of getting an HR24 all depend upon what the installer has in stock - if he has none, your chances are zero. As for waiting, DirecTV's policy doesn't seem to be changing, so it will still be a shot in the dark as to what you get.

Only way to get a specific receiver is to get one from a retailer - now days it's online only from places like SolidSignal, etc.....

7. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Installers usually contact you prior to installation.

You could inform him that if you don't get an HR24, you're not interested.

It may be a PITA, but that's what I'm going to do in a few months...

~Alan

8. Gottria

Gottria Mentor

Aug 6, 2006
    I had an install yesterday, 2 HD-DVRs and a HD receiver. Install guy shows up and first off I ask him what boxes he plans to install, 2 HR24s and a H21 for the bedroom. Problem is the H21 is to big to mount on the wall or on the TV mount. I have a 26" LCD on a pivoting arm with all the wiring behind it for a nice clean look. Now with the H21 it's sitting on the floor with an extension cable and wires all over the place. I explain to the installer that I need a H24 as it's able to mount on the wall, he said he will locate one for me and swap it out, we'll see. He is very cool and if I call DTV about exchanging it he said he will get a charge back and lose money.

9. rrbhokies

rrbhokies Legend

May 10, 2004
    So does the HR21 Pro and the HR23 both have 500GB Hard Drives and can record up to 100 hours of HD Programming just like the HR24?

10. mezman

mezman Cool Member

May 24, 2010

Yeah, the new customer discounts will save me $10 a month over the 24 month contract. That and the whole house DVR appealed to me to be able to watch HD in the bedroom where now we are limited to SD pushed from the Vip622 unless I wanted to buy another receiver and pay for someone to come out to install it. All that DirecTV is offering as part of the setup for free.

I've found that with service contracts, it's in your best interest to change suppliers at the end of each contract. That way you get deals that aren't available to existing customers since they already have you on the hook, no need to entice you anymore. It's analogous to dating and being married. When you're engaged or dating, your girl goes to a lot of effort to get and keep you interested. When you're married, shes already got you legally bound, no need for such efforts anymore.

As a side note, since I set up my account online, I called DirecTV to verify all my install details. As part of that conversation, I asked about getting an HR24 and H24 and the CSR, whom we all know are the paragons of truth and virtue, told me that new customers get the new boxes but she couldn't guarantee anything.

11. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Being in the Denver area I would think your chance of getting the 24's is pretty good. We were a test market for MRV and got them before other areas of the country. I had two install attempts. The first one was canceled due to a snowstorm but the installer showed up with a HR24. The second installer did not have a 24 with him, but at my request, he went back to the shop and got one. I couldn't ask for more then that!

12. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    Whoever came up with this "policy" of not being able to pick your model is a complete idiot. If you want a certain model and you are PAYING to lease it you should be able to pick out what you want. Not to mention the fact most people don't give a crap about what model they get because they don't know any better. Why not give a customer a certain model if they ask for it? It's such a small % of people who actually want a certain model why not make them happy? Instead everyone just gets to spin the wheel of chance. So stupid - I hate when a big company has such an outrageous policy but they are just so big they don't care.

13. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I agree to a point. I was able to get a box no problem at all by getting a supervisor on the phone I have been with D* for almost 14 years now and they do bend over backwards to keep me happy so I really can't complain.

I think in their defense they just want to get rid of the old stuff in the channel before giving everyone the latest greatest which I think is understandable but your point that in the big picture we are a small percentage of theirf customer base and should take care of us I do agree with waht you are saying.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Interesting.... The only problem with switching vendors when it comes to DirecTV vs DISH is that they each only consider you a "new" customer once. If you try to go back to DISH in 2 years you won't be considered a "new" customer but they may offer you a deal of some sort anyway.

Oh, by the way, welcome to DBSTALK.COM!! :welcome_s

15. Islandguy43

Islandguy43 Legend

Oct 2, 2007
    The will offer the new subs discounts, no activation fees and free installation after 6 months and even in some cases only 3 months.

16. mezman

mezman Cool Member

May 24, 2010
    Thanks! :D

When I bought my first HDTV back in 2005, I was a Dish customer. So I called up Dish to see what they could do for me getting me set up with a HD-DVR (since I had a SD-DVR at the time) for the new HDTV. I was told to fork over $399 (or something outrageous like that) or pound sand. So I did, over to Comcast who was willing to give me the HD-DVR for or cheap (interestingly, when I called Dish to cancel, they were suddenly full of offers for free or cheap gear. Too bad for them they waited until I was canceling to be helpful. :nono2: ).

After a year I grew weary of the crappy Comcast DVR and had moved so I called up Dish to see if they'd changed their minds and in 2006, they were happy to hook me up with a HD-DVR for free or cheap. I did have to call on my cell phone because Dish's crappy phone system still had our home number so I couldn't get though to a sales guy, I kept getting shunted to support who couldn't help me.

I do the same with cell phones too. That way I never have to pay for a new phone, or at least don't have to pay the full existing customer price. AT&T -> Sprint -> Tmobile in the past 6 years and in December I'll probably shuffle over to Verizon or Sprint again depending on what android phones are available.

17. dgeffs

dgeffs Mentor

Nov 20, 2006
    I am in exactly the same position except in Houston. I've looked though this forum and read countless messages about how there is no choice. The funny thing is nobody seems to care. They all seem to be happy with whatever DTV delivers which is simply amazing to me. Would you go out and buy a computer with slower processor or smaller hard drive and be happy about it when you really need or want more speed or capacity? I don't think so. Why should satellite service be any different. You should be able to lease what you want.

They could easily charge more for the latest and greatest and that would keep quite a few people wanting their old equipment until it was gone. Obviously we just don't understand this business.

We have both been told to find a local retailer but do they offer the same deals as DTV with free basic installation and credits for equipment? I've read more horror stories about local installers than positive comments although I suppose that is to be expected on a board like this.

Trying to get what I want looks like a complete crap shoot to me.

18. jstutman

jstutman Mentor

May 27, 2010
    I have been away from DISH for almost 4 years. I called them, and they asked if I had any of my old equipment. (The same equipment they forced me to return) and I say NO. I was told SOL unless I decide to go buy a dish and recievers. Oh but they were so nice to offer me a new reciever activation for $20 for each reciever I bring.

19. Skram0

Skram0 Cool Member

May 3, 2010
    Here's my situation. I've been a sub for many many years. Back before DirecTV and they were DSS & USSB (2 companies you had to pay). I have SD service and a DirecTivo DVR (series 1). I want to upgrade to the HD package (have the HDTV already) and I want an HR24 (the whole reason I am even thinking of an HD upgrade). I held out for many years due to the bad performance and problems everyone had with the previous DVRs. Now I believe is the time to get an HD DVR as now I believe I would be completely satisfied with it.

Would it be possible to purchase the HR24 elsewhere (and get a credit or not), and still have them come and install it? I also need an HD dish and it needs to be installed & aligned.

20. mezman

mezman Cool Member

May 24, 2010
    Well the guys are on their way out now. I'll report back on what I get.

Though I agree it's asinine that you can't request specific hardware. Especially if there were a premium for the latest and greatest. I'd pay $50 now to secure an HR24.