1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

WBOC and FOX21 Could Disappear from DIRECTV Channel Lineup After July 31

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Athlon646464, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    WBOC and FOX21 Could Disappear from DIRECTV Channel Lineup After July 31

(WBOC.com) - SALISBURY, Md.- WBOC and FOX21, the local CBS and FOX affiliates found on Channels 16 and 21, on Thursday announced that despite prolonged negotiations, it appears that DIRECTV is unwilling to carry the stations past the end of its current contract. If no agreement is reached, WBOC and FOX21 will no longer be seen on DIRECTV after midnight Thursday, July 31, 2014.

Craig Jahelka, vice president and general manager, explained that WBOC and FOX21 are asking for far less than what DIRECTV pays for national networks like ESPN – even though WBOC's and FOX21's ratings are much higher than ESPN's ratings....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Is there a standard playbook the television stations go by during these retrans disputes?

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I am not in that area, but, I do not watch anything on FOX and watch a lot of stuff on ESPN. I do watch FS1.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Given these are local stations, I've moved it from the general forum to programing.

5. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Thanks.....

6. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Less than ESPN that's a new one. Same old stuff they want more for a product that is free with a simple antenna.

1 person likes this.
  7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  8. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    And here we go again. Will this madness never end? Fortunately 90% of the time these "disputes" are settled before the lights go dark, but it's still crazy.

9. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Their comparison to ESPN has no merit. ESPN is a cable channel and FOX is a local channel period. For a local to demand near ESPN type fees would get them dropped from every provider out there. What a joke!

10. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Yes, and to add it's because locals are meant to be FREE. It never should have been allowed for them to start demanding fees to be on Satellite or Cable, where they get far more viewers than not being on there.

1 person likes this.
  11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Considering the size of the company, they need DirecTV more than DirecTV needs them. Two channels in a single market doesn't give you a whole lot of bargaining power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  12. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    They do seem to use the same language on both sides of these. Our local Fox and CBS (owned by the same guy) networks) put us through this a couple of years ago, the banners were running right up to midnight of the drop dead date. Of course they did it right before the NFL season started which meant a lot of sports fans thought they were going to lose the two local NFL carrying channels.

The network owner always bemoans how Directv is paying them a lot less than channels that are watched much less, Directv throws out that they are asking for Whatever times more. etc.

I'm not sure though that I agree the networks should be expected to provide them free to Directv. Directv makes money from rebroadcasting these so they shouldn't be allowed to get them for free. For example, I actually cannot get two of my locals with an antenna, so it is very important to me that my cable or sat company be able to provide these (in fact, I switched from DTV to Dish a few years ago when I moved here because at the time DTV did not carry the locals in HD - they do now, and I'm switching back.)

13. dogs31

dogs31 Godfather

Feb 27, 2006
    What WBOC and FOX 21 don't realize is that DirecTV does not need them. Why should folks in that region pay higher DirecTV bills for those two stations when they basically can throw up an antenna and receive them for free? Why do they think that they are better than ESPN? That's what I don't understand.

14. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    I thought it was interesting this happened a couple weeks after DirecTV replaced the NBC affiliate out of Philly with a new startup NBC affiliate WRDE out of Rehoboth Beach DE. Their OTA signal doesn't extend very far out of Delaware though. Might just be a coincidnce..For reference, WBOC is headquartered in Salisbury, MD but serves pretty much the entire Eastern Shore of MD and Virginia plus the southern two counties in Delaware and their signal OTA covers almost the entire area.

Part of WBOC's problem is the management runs the station like its located in a DMA much higher than #142. They have a full HD "newsplex", state of the art weather computers, a bunch of in house news programs, apps for phones and even a helicopter they fly around in. All of this is great for viewers I guess, but it cant be cheap.

I will go back to using an antenna for WBOC like I did when D* didn't even offer locals here prior to October 2010. The only downside is FOX21 comes across as a subchannel and its wide screen but definitely not HD like DirecTV offers, but I'll live.

WMDT (the local ABC affiliate) tried this same move with DirecTV and were taken off on June 7th but were back on the air within 12 hours. WMDT supposedly wanted 4x increase plus D* to carry a 2nd subchannel MeTV (DirecTV carries their first, CW although not in HD). I don't know what the terms of the agreement were but I cannot get MeTV on D* so they didn't get that.

15. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Local stations now using the fact that ESPN gets $5 per sub as leverage? ESPN is a national network.. the Delmarva stations are local.. it even says there are approx. 29,000 D* subs in their DMA. These provider vs. network/station carriage disputes will only continue and get worse. We're in a capitalistic system and that's how it works. The ones who get the short stick are the viewers who either lose a network/station and then pay more when rates go up. Is it time for some sort of 3rd party arbitration procedure to prevent these sorts of carriage renewal/droppage problems?

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is Congress job. But if they are willing to help some one, they wound rather help the networks

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    [SIZE=12.152777671813965px] I do not watch anything on FOX either.[/SIZE]

18. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Because most people who have DTV do not want to put up an outside antenna and lose their DVR capability, etc, etc. Some because it's just a pain, some because they don't understand how, some can't get the locals with an antenna.

When it happened here, Dish (it was same thing, different sat company) was bombarded by people angry at them. Dish had a banner pointing to a website showing how to get the locals with an antenna, and many Dish subscribers were outraged - "I pay you over $100 a month for TV, I signed up because I could get all the channels I want and need from you, and now you're telling me to put up an antenna????!!!!" Someone (not affiliated with the networks or with Dish, I believe it was a guy who does consumer advocate stories in the area, not on the networks or anything owned by their owner) did some polls, and something like 75% of the people thought Dish was to blame. After all, their local network is just local people, right, and here's big bad superpower Dish!

While I don't agree that DTV or Dish should be able to rebroadcast the locals for free, I do believe Congress should set some guidelines/laws etc. that creates fair payment guidelines and prevents viewers from being held hostage. Oh - one other thing that was found in the polling - a pretty sizeable number of subscribers didn't wait for the midnight resolution and changed from Dish to the local cable or Directv.

19. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Putting up an OTA antenna and having D* DVR capability don't really have anything to do with each other.. you can easily have both. I have an HR24, an AM21 (OTA tuner), and 2 OTA antennas and I can record OTA stuff on my HR24.

Not sure what Congress can do other than regulate capitalism.. the market determines prices, customer participation, etc. Besides the end-customer, it is the provider that suffers since they get tagged negatively if they don't come to an agreement and drop a network. The networks don't really lose out at all and have everything to gain by complaining about providers when carriage agreements can't get done.

20. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    You and I know that, but I would guess a majority of Directv users have no idea they can get OTA (and would need OTA defined! ;) ) on their Directtv receivers. My best friend just got DTV installed in his house, and I asked him if he got a Genie. This guy is an experienced chemist and highly technical guy who builds his own computers. His reply? "I don't know, I know two of the boxes they gave me are really small and the other one is a little bigger." It's a box that TV comes from to him, and a fancy VCR. I don't think he is unusual in terms of maybe even the majority of DTV users - we're an anomaly here (I told another friend that I read something on this forum, he has Dish, and he said "You actually go read about satellite providers on the internet? What could people even talk about?"

1 person likes this.