DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WCBS Significatly Viewed in CT Lost?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Chuck W 
#1 ·
I am in Litchfield cty CT(New Milford) and have been receiving WCBS, WNBC and WNYW(Fox) in SD as part of the significantly viewed channels. I noticed tonight, that WCBS is no longer available(channel not even in list anymore).

Anyone idea what's up and anyone else having this issue?

I checked Directv and it still lists WCBS as a channel I should be getting for my zipcode, as an SV channel.

**EDIT**

Just called Directv and the CS rep said they had a note that WCBS was no longer available to Hartford/New Haven viewers. The CS rep gave a bogus reason about that WFSB must have complained, but I thought that that's what the rules were changed to address and allow for.

#5 ·
I just sent off a couple emails to Directv and WCBS about this. Anyone else upset by this should do the same. I know in my area, having SV locals was a BIG selling point for Directv, because we are just over the border from Fairfield cty, which is in the NYC DMA.

#6 ·
beavis said:
Don't know the specifics, but I would certainly believe it was about money/retransmission agreements.
Basically, WFSB probably went to D* & said, "either remove WCBS from SV in these areas, or loose retrans of WFSB across the ENTIRE Hartford DMA, so that we do NOT have to share our ad revenue with NY". D* complied, obviously knowing the later would have MUCH more dire consequences than loosing a few SV viewers. ;)

#7 ·
Not sure they can do that with significantly viewed, which is an FCC definition. The channels themselves are determined by Nielsen per law.

DirecTV does not have to provide them but I don't think a station can make them a point of negogiation.

#9 ·
tuff bob said:
yeah, they can. its a real big loophole in the SV legislation and the main reason you don't see many eligible DMA's with SV service. :(
Please explain because from what I have read, I'm pretty sure tonyd79 is right. This is what the SV ruling from the FCC addressed and made possible.

#10 ·
Look at the list of SV service.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations.pdf

WCBS has a # sign and indicates that Hew Haven (city) is no longer elegible to recieve WCBS.

Stations listed with a pound sign (#) have been the subject of application of the Commission's exclusivity rules and are subject to programming deletions in the indicated communities.
EDIT: Litchfield county does not seem to be affected. Only New Haven County.

#11 ·
Many Connecticut areas were permitted to get NYC locals (e.g. Bloomfield CT zip code) So it appears the complaint is that DirecTV is changing this?

#13 ·
lwilli201 said:
Yep, when in doubt blame D*. :rolleyes:
I'm not blaming anyone okay! I'm asking if anybody knows? Maybe you can be less sarcastic and give a straight answer if you know the truthful one. :grin:

Now here is some sarcasm for you go play with your willi and when you have done that you will feel better and give us a straight answer.

#14 ·
Chuck W said:
Please explain because from what I have read, I'm pretty sure tonyd79 is right. This is what the SV ruling from the FCC addressed and made possible.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/472111-post1.html

The FCC's current interpretation of the local service requirement "empowers local network affiliates to condition or withhold analog retransmission consent unless the satellite operator agrees not to import significantly viewed signals. As a result, the local network affiliates are in a position to block carriage of significantly viewed analog signals, thereby depriving DBS subscribers of access to desired stations," the companies said in the joint filing.

#15 ·
tuff bob said:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/472111-post1.html

The FCC's current interpretation of the local service requirement "empowers local network affiliates to condition or withhold analog retransmission consent unless the satellite operator agrees not to import significantly viewed signals. As a result, the local network affiliates are in a position to block carriage of significantly viewed analog signals, thereby depriving DBS subscribers of access to desired stations," the companies said in the joint filing.
And actually, this also DOES apply to cable systems as well - I know this because in some of the north parts of our DMA, it's happened several times lately:

-Insight cable in Lincoln, who is actually IN the Springfield/Champaign DMA, has always carried ALL 5 full-powered affiliates out of the Peoria-Bloomington DMA (ABC/CBS/NBC/PBS from Peoria & FOX from Bloomington), last year removed the Bloomington FOX affiliate from the cable, but left ALL the other Peoria nets on. The weird thing about this is - the FOX affiliate is MUCH closer to Lincoln than Peoria ever would be - so it's pretty obvious our Springfield FOX affiliate had something to do with this.

-Mediacom cable, who serves a couple small towns north of Springfield, has also always carried the same 4 Peoria affiliates for years. Last year, when Mediacom had it's spat with all Sinclair, it was forced to pull our local Sinclair ABC affiliate from the system. BUT at the same time, a few days after the spat started, Mediacom was also forced to pull the Peoria ABC affiliate from the system as well. (which is NOT a Sinclair affiliate) Mediacom told these customers that our local Sinclair ABC in Springfield was the one behind making them drop the Peoria ABC, since it really should NOT have been on the system to begin with. (never mind I guess that these towns ARE in grade B for Peoria :rolleyes: ) Of course, it was a double-wammy for these customers, as now they had NO ABC affiliate to watch & even when the spat was over, they now had only the 1 ABC.

Evidently, these local affiliates are getting even WORSE about having to share their viewers with ANY potential competition & are doing everything possible to eliminate it. (via repealing SV on cable systems via retans agreements :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: )

#16 ·
jtn said:
Many Connecticut areas were permitted to get NYC locals (e.g. Bloomfield CT zip code) So it appears the complaint is that DirecTV is changing this?
Hard to believe Bloomfield did since it is north of Hartford and you couldn't get OTA WCBS from there and the cable companies don't carry it but there are stranger things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.