1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WCIU-DT problems

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by hvs10trk, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    I have had several viewer report to me that they have RX problems with Dish RX's and our WCIU-DT signal. They have a great signal strength but the box(es) act like a dropping signal. Is there anyone that can tell me EXACT make/model for Dish's HD boxes? Ever have a problem with a tight data stream?? Anyone from Dish Network in here that can shed some light on this subject??

2. cpdretired

cpdretired AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 25, 2003
    First off I am located in Lemont, IL. near 127th & Lemont Road. I have a Dish 622 receiver. The antenna used for OTA is a Radio Shack U75R. The line feeding into the receiver is RG6. Every OTA UHF digital channel that is broadcast from Chicago is solid without breakup. That is except for WCIU.

The signal strength is around 85 but will drop to zero causing loss of picture. I tried watching the Sox - Tigers game last night and had to turn it off. The picture kept breaking up. This has been a constant problem since the power was increased. Prior to that I could not receive WCIU at all.

Checkout the AV forum. It seems that many folks are having this problem.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=444398

3. jwv651

jwv651 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Add me to the list...never had this problem with my 811. :confused:

4. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Thanx for your viewer input. I'm frequently in AVSforum as well. Apparently Dish RX's are EXTREMELY sensitive. We're attempting to aquire a RX from Dish for testing. I have a couple of ideas but it may take some time. Please be patient with us and thanx for watching! :)

5. cpdretired

Aug 25, 2003

Hurry up and get it fixed so I can watch the White Sox in HD.

6. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Ahh getting this fixed would be great. I thought that I was just too far out to get WCIU-DT, i.e. that it had power or general reception problems like WBBM-DT, but it sounds like this may be a Dish-specific issue. If so, and if it can be addressed, undoubtedly many Chicago-area Dish customers would be quite pleased.

7. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    May I inquire what town?

8. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Crystal Lake, specifically. With a large UHF/VHF antenna located in the attic, accurately pointed towards Chicago, it's possible to get WMAQ-DT, WFLD-DT, WPWR-DT, WGN-DT, WTTW-DT and WLS-DT without dropouts.

9. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Well howdy neighbor.:D Can you try 44-1 just for yucks. Sorry its spanish. Just want to rule out something.

10. christos99

christos99 New Member

Apr 9, 2006
    I have experienced the same problems. I live in Evanston, 10.6 miles from where WCIU is transmitting from (according to antennaweb.org) . I had a whole bunch of problems with OTA with my 811, went through 6 different antenna's, never being able to find one that could lock on to all the channels without having to move it around and inch or two here or there, which got really annoying. The 622 helped a lot with OTA reception, I now get great signals on pretty much every OTA channel with a cheap Terk antenna I clipped onto the dish, and access it with a diplexer.

However, I experience the same problems with WCIU, it will lock at between 80-85 then all of sudden cut out. WGN is also an adventure, sometimes I get a 100 signal and other days I can barely get 60-65, but most of the time it's fine. As for the others, Fox & CBS & WTTW are perfect almost always, NBC & UPN a bit less but pretty much always, ABC I get kind of a weak signal, but since I'm getting the big 4 off the dish I'm much less aggravated about OTA reception.

I would love to see dish add WGN, WCIU & Comcast sportsnet Chicago to the HD lineup and never have to deal with an antenna again.

11. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I checked this evening with my Dish 921 receiver. Here's the results, in terms of signal strength numbers using my large highly directional antenna from about 45 miles out:

WMAQ-DT (05-01): 112.
    WSNS-DT (44-01): 112.
    WCIU-DT (26-01): 82 - 88.

I'm not seeing the "ping-pong" effect on WCIU where it drops down to zero at the moment, but the signal strength is definitely weaker than it is on other digital over the air channels (again, not including the infamous WBBM-DT).

12. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    You my friend are in the group along the north shore that experiences the worst of Chicago multipath. Although it doesn't explain our problems.

13. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    I can't get WBBM-DT from the west side of CL. One idea we think is the chipset/firmware in the Dish RX's maybe extremely sensitive:eek2: and "cranky:mad: " to anomolies. I haven't proved that theory yet but its starting to look "likely". Once we aquire a Dish RX, I am going to test from CL as well and see what my results are. Our staff is scattered around Chicago so we can try from different points. RF interferrence is another theory, but from what. This problem isn't in a specific area. Its all over, well at least 15 miles+ out from the city.

14. jimmyp

jimmyp New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents...I have similar problems with WCIU out in Plainfield as well. Even though I am over 30 miles out I am able to pick up strong signals for all stations except for WBBM and WCIU (Breaks up often, and worse than WBBM). GO SOX!!!

15. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I don't see how anyone can reliably get WBBM-DT at any significant distance, considering it's on VHF channel 3, which has to be about the worst possible frequently assignment. Until they get a new UHF channel number, WBBM-DT and a large portion of its customers are both probably out of luck.

But there is hope for WCIU-DT, since it isn't fundamentally cursed with such an unlikely frequently. Would be nice to get WCIU-DT up to over 100 signal strength (like most of the other channels), since this should minimize any drop-outs. Keep up the good work, hvs10trk!

16. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Are you guys on the latest software on your RX's? I noticed some updates were recently sent down.

17. cpdretired

Aug 25, 2003
    L360 is the latest software version that I have. WCIU still breaks up as in the past. My signal strength out here in Lemont is about an 85. About a week ago in the evening I was getting a 65 on WCIU. When I had the 65 the picture was stable without any freezes or breakups.

About a year ago everyone with an 811 in Chicagoland was having a problem with WTTW-DT. The picture was great until they changed something in their data stream. They monitored either this or the AV Forum. From what I remember they reverted back and the problem was fixed. Their signal actually caused the 811 to lockup therefore needing a reboot.

18. hvs10trk

hvs10trk Cool Member

Aug 12, 2006
    I'll give'em a holler and see what they found. Thanx for the info. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.