1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WE DID IT!!!! The USA lands on Mars...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by sorahl, Jan 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 4, 2004 #1 of 11
    sorahl

sorahl Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 24, 2002
    Well, over 20 missions by other countries have failed (ok, a couple by us too) but now at 9:00PM PST on January 3rd the Mars Rover Spirit made successful crash landing on Mars. I call it a crash landing because that's what it looks like!

check it out at http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/home/index.html

2. Jan 4, 2004 #2 of 11
    TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I just got to see on NASA TV the first set of images coming down. It is absolutely increadible the technology involved in getting these images. The lander has not yet deployed its high gain antenna so the signal is going to one of TWO orbiting satellites with 2 hour orbits around Mars. Then they are relaying the images 300,000,000 miles back to Earth. It takes the radio signal about 26 minutes to travel that distance traveling at 186,000 miles a second!

Anyway, when the first pictures came on the screen, I felt the same way I did when Viking took those blurry images in '75.

The science involved to me is getting close to "magic" :D

See ya
    Tony

3. Jan 4, 2004 #3 of 11
    sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    I happened to be still awake (insomnia) when those came down as well. Wow, I can't wait to print those pic's out. I still have a framed picture of Mars from the last successful rover in my office. I like being able to look at a picture of another planet, almost like looking out the windows.
    One day, when we are walking are Mars (and the Moon again) our kids will wonder at how exciting a couple of pictures could be but until then... :) wow...

John

4. Jan 4, 2004 #4 of 11
    John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Maybe it can find the beagle. But some martian child probably has it. :eek2:

So where's the European rover? Hugging the rings of Saturn? Or do us Americans just have a knack for space exploration that nobody else has....

5. Jan 4, 2004 #5 of 11
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Taking the place of another poster who is "away for a few days"..... It was all done on a back lot in Hollywood. :lol: :D

6. Jan 4, 2004 #6 of 11
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Funny, I thought those images looked just like Rock Springs, Wyoming... :lol:

I just sat there watching the press conference this morning at 2:30am in awe seeing those images. I can't wait to see what's coming next. Hopefully the instruments on board survived the landing well enough to do what they are meant to do.

7. Jan 4, 2004 #7 of 11
    sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    They have a great app to let you track the rover. It's awesome. It uses the pictures it's taken to fill in hte landscape around the rover.
    :) expect delays in downloading as they were slashdotted this morning :)
    http://mars.telascience.org/home/
    i suggest downloading it in bittorrent....

8. Jan 4, 2004 #8 of 11
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    And that Martian kid has a friend who keeps pulling stunts on him when he tries to kick a football. :D

9. Jan 4, 2004 #9 of 11
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    :D

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    An incredible feat - likened to hitting a golf ball in New York and making a hole-in-one in Tokyo. NASA, JPL and all involved are to be congratulated.

------------
    This just in:

JPL has received an unexpected memo from Mars. This is the original unedited text.

TO: George Bush, President of Earth
    DATE: 5081.412.077

"Pleashe...shtop shending ush your junch...jusht shend water - 'Evian' if you have it."

11. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    You forgot the P.S. MARS NEEDS WOMEN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.