1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Weather Channel to Relaunch Nov 11 with Weather All the Time

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mkdtv21, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1 of 82
    mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
  2. Nov 3, 2013 #2 of 82
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #3 of 82
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Well some of that new stuff likely will need the IntelliStar HD on cable (Not all systems have the HD one yet)

As for SD the old IntelliStar may not be able to do all of that.

We should have an Weatherscan HD for directv that covers all of the USA.

4. Nov 3, 2013 #4 of 82
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
  5. Nov 3, 2013 #5 of 82
    JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    "Clark announced that The Weather Channel network will soon be able to present severe weather coverage in affected markets only, allowing viewers in unaffected markets to remain viewing regularly scheduled programming.
    Additionally, Clark announced a complete refresh of the network’s “Local on the 8s,” localized forecasts that appear every 10 minutes at :08, :18, :28, etc. The new “LOT8s” will feature on-camera meteorologists with more locally relevant forecasts."

So will directv pick up the severe weather coverage feed at all? have an alt feed? show the severe weather feed all the time as the main feed?

Drop the Weather Channel and pick up WeatherNation TV?

1 person likes this.
  6. Nov 3, 2013 #6 of 82
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't see them dropping TWC. I'd imagine they'd just carry whatever severe weather broadcast is going on at the time.

They could also put a localized feed on the spotbeams, which I'm surprised they didn't do from the outset. This might give them more reason to do that.

7. Nov 3, 2013 #7 of 82
    cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Why not just transmit all of the data within the MPEG stream and have the receiver overlay that data. Maybe embed an HTML5 player in the DirecTV software that interprets the data and overlays it on top of blank regions of the weather channel HD as a backdrop?

I know it looks like Windows 8 and it's very Metro like, but an HTML5 player should be able to render the fonts and script the transitions, do scrolling and draw graphs.

8. Nov 3, 2013 #8 of 82
    JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    You're talking about a pretty major overhauling of the software on the receivers to do that. They are just now getting into addressable advertising, but that is basically playing a video file in place of the satellite feed for 30 seconds. I don't think the receivers really have the processing power, and I know they don't have the software in the firmware, to do that.

9. Nov 4, 2013 #9 of 82
    firemantom26

firemantom26 Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    Since a software upgrade I lost the locals on the 8's

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The new TV apps in Hi Def rocks. I've seen localized warnings, but cannot say I've monitored them for completeness. I like it also because it takes up just a portion of the screen, so you can keep watching other things.

11. ep1974

ep1974 Legend

May 22, 2010
    Weather app does look good, although my local time still shows PDT. Sure it will be updated.

12. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Are you referring to the option of pressing the red button when tuned to the weather channel? I did press it, and while in SD, it shows the 5 day forecast and current temperature. Plus it appeared I could add more zip codes and keep track of other cities.

13. firemantom26

firemantom26 Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    ,I was't talking about the red button.......
    it always showed my local forecast on the 8's of each hours now it only shows a national forecast.I also reset my zip code..........

14. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Sometimes a single or even a double "reset" of the dvr will restore this.....

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I can't imagine why anyone would wait for 8's when it's available on demand so to speak. (See post 10.) And possibly a lot more information.

16. firemantom26

firemantom26 Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    I have tried that..............

17. firemantom26

firemantom26 Mentor

Dec 2, 2006
    I do use the red button or I check my iPhone weather app if i need a forecast..............

18. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I didn't think Lot8's was possible on Satellite unless they are using the same technology as pushing ad's, then at least it would be limited to DVR's only.

They could push the video to the reserved space on the DVR hard drive, but judging how more frequently weather changes and needs to be updated, you almost need a spot beam to do it on the fly with a command that tells the tuner when to switch to the local spot and when to switch back to national.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

19. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    they can give use whether scan that covers all of the usa. Maybe have it be 16:9 HD letter boxed for SD.

20. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Another idea...When on the weather channel, press the Red button to get the local forecast to load up, be sure to check to see that your local zipcode is listed there. Sometimes a new software update erases that info....