1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

WebTV/MSN TV shutting down

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, Jul 7, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In case anyone knows someone still using this service, it's shutting down at the end of September.

http://www.msntv.com/ClosureFAQ.asp#faq1

2. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Too bad for old people. I paid my late mother's Web/MSNTV subscription for a decade ($23/mo., as I recall) because it was absolutely goof-proof and, on a twisted pair, didn't give her information any faster than she could assimilate it. There were times when I was tempted to get her on broadband, but then, when I would think of how many times a day I command my computer to do something but it doesn't do it, I just knew I would be getting daily phonecalls from her if she had a regular internet service like mine.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    $23 a month?? Surely not. . .

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    AOL was maybe $25 or $26 a month back then...

And don't call me Shirley!

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And there was something to be said for extremely simple, no need to update software etc.

I've lately been tempted to get my father a Chromebook. My mother is the one with the computer knowledge. I tried to get him to get off Lycos webmail, he insisted that any email address had to be his real name for his online banking.

Fortunately I can just use a Logmein rescue account and get into their systems to fix things.

6. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Flood of memories for me. I purchased a Philips Web TV unit 16 years ago month before last. For what it was and the time frame I used it, it was a perfect fit. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I was delaying the inevitable so I did pick up my first PC, Win 98 SE.

For those who are looking at a comparable low-cost Internet device to replace Web/MSN TV, I'd recommend the Google TV devices. Of course dial-up is no longer an option, thank God. I have to admit seeing the announcement here did cause a flood of nostalgia, like looking up the log-in vid on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-sVbegqvxg, but as far as pining for it again the way some over-the-top posters say they do, no way!

7. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    i thought webtv/msn shut down years ago. but i got a philips webtv unit back in october 1997. thought it was the greatest thing id ever seen. if i wasnt working, i was online. watching that video sure brought back some memories. i used webtv for about 2yrs then i got my first pc. compaq with compuserve internet deal. massive 6gb hdd and 64mb ram for $800 as long as i used compuserve for 1yr. webtv was a good way to get online, it was safe and idiot proof. i remember getting all excited when they would announce an "upgrade" which consisted of a new start screen and a spell check. lol ....oh and what memories from talkcity chat & decorating your email with html graphics. this type of service is what my parents need. i got them a computer but it gives them fits. atleast i get to talk to them on a daily "help me" basis :)

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Appreciate the heads up here. I know one 'sweet old thing' still on the service. She won't be happy, but at least her kids have time to get everything saved.