1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weekend receiver issue...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by canman88, Nov 29, 2013.

1. canman88

canman88 New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Long time lurker on this site,and a Directv customer for 12 years.Maybe someone can answer this question.... We currently have 3 Directv dvr receivers. A HR 23, A HR 24, (both connected via eithernet to the internet), and a RC16-500 SD dvr.I don't know exactly what kind of HD dish we have , but all dvrs have only one cable going to them, but both tuners are active on all dvrs allowing us to record 2 shows at once. We do not have telephone lines plugged into any of them.

I want to start taking the SD dvr to a fish camp near here on the weekends, so we can watch tv. There is already an old round dish with a dual lnb aimed at the Directv satellites.

Will Directv know we disconnect that dvr?

The last time I called Directv they asked me how I liked their on demand service, so I assumed they knew the HD dvrs were connected to the internet. I did not know if they could actually look at my whole system, since it is all technically connected.I really don't want to get dinged for a second account, just for that SD dvr.
    Our bill is almost $100.00 a month as it is.

Thanks again.

2. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As long as you don't connect the receivers to ether a phone line or internet, there is no way for DirecTV to know. however, doing this is a violation of DirecTV ToS and I am not sure this is going to fly on these forums.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As long as you are only using DirecTV service at one location at a time, it is acceptable use.

You will need to go through satellite setup each time you move your R16 back and forth (you appear to have SWM at home, and non SWM at your fish camp).

4. canman88

canman88 New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    There would be some weeks my wife would be at home and I was away fishing. I wish Directv would allow us to just pay by the day when you need a second account.
    The last installer told me if I had a different (main ) receiver I could watch recordings from it on the SD dvr if it was set up that way. So I assume these receivers (talk) to each other some way.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    This won't work for you if you're planning on watching live over the weekends, but if you record a bunch of stuff, you can most likely run it without hooking it to a sat.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Doesn't the R16 require a live satellite connection when the DVR is powered up in order to view any of its recordings?

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If this stays within the realm of use like tailgating parties, it should be "OK".

8. canman88

canman88 New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Since I'm talking to the experts...do I need B Band converters for the R16 if I use a round dish with a dual lnb?

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The R16 receiver does not use B Band Converters. Those are only used on HD receivers.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It may; but one of the other DVRs could be "borrowed"....

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks. I did not want to break the law here...